Winterizing Merc 140 - draining, cyl oil, drive belt

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class
1974 Mercruiser 140 s/n 388xxxx
Mercruiser "Late Model I" Stern Drive s/n 390xxxx

Hopefully I won't have to winterize for another month or more, but I'm trying to get ready now. I've been reading the "Winter Storage" pages of the manual for my I/O. That is Mercruiser Service Manual Number 2, "Stern Drive Units and Marine Engines", pages 1A-6 through 1A-8.

I really like Don's advice to just drain it and leave air in it. I agree that since we don't worry about corrosion throughout the whole boating season, when the system is full of water, it doesn't make much sense to get all worried about it over the winter. I want to do the draining right, though, so I don't have any bad surprises in the spring.

(I have read the Adults Only, 6. HOW TO: Winterize your engine and drive, and 7. Use of muffs to winterize.)

I have a few questions about the service manual instructions:

Question 1) pg 1A-6, "Winter Storage - Marine Engines", 8. Release and inspect all drive belts... Reinstall in a loose position.

Do you guys do that? I never have. Again, I leave the belt tight the whole boating season, so will having it loose from November to April (when the weather is cooler anyway) make much difference? I mean, I suppose it's better for the alternator bearings or something, but it sounds like just worrying to me... is that wrong?

Comment: pg 7D-36, "Draining Instructions", says:
"IMPORTANT: When draining cooling system, boat MUST BE positioned so that front of engine is higher than rear, or cooling system will not drain completely."
I need to keep that in mind!

Per the manual pg 7D-36, I have three drains--the cylinder block petcock, the exhaust manifold drain plug and the exhaust elbow drain plug.

Question 2) pg 1A-6, "Winter Storage - Marine Engines", 10. Remove spark plugs and squirt one oz. of Quicksilver Storage Seal or SAE 20 SE oil into each cylinder. Remove coil lead from distributor cap and ground lead. With spark plugs removed, crank engine for at least 15 seconds with starter to assure a good coating of oil on cylinder walls."

Do you guys do that? I've always just fogged the engine and stalled it with extra fogging oil (which is item 5 on the same page of the manual). I've never pulled the plugs and squirted in the oil. In the spring, after running to burn off the fogging oil, I change the spark plugs, so I've never pulled them in the fall. Maybe I'm being lazy and I need to start doing this?

Question 3) pg 1A-6, "Winter Storage - Marine Engines", 12. For additional assurance against freezing and rust, it is recommended that the cooling system be filled with a solution of permanent anti-freeze and water. (It then goes on to explain how to fill through the water distribution block (thermostat cavity)).

OK, this is what I'm trying to get away from. Merc doesn't seem to push it too hard, but they do "recommend" it. Comments?

Question 4) pg 1A-8, "Winter Storage - Stern Drive Units", 1. Open water drain holes (one located in gear housing and 2 in drive shaft housing) and use a piece of wire to check that they are open.

I have a "Late Model I" drive. Do I have these water drain holes? I've always just tilted the sterndrive down for winter storage. hmmmmm

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Winterizing Merc 140

Re: Winterizing Merc 140

Question 1) pg 1A-6, "Winter Storage - Marine Engines", 8. Release and inspect all drive belts... Reinstall in a loose position.

Belts will tend to keep the the shape they are in if left under tension for extended periods of time.
Have you ever been to the junk yard and found an old belt the looks like a triangle? Thats why.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Winterizing Merc 140 - draining, cyl oil, drive belt

Question 3) pg 1A-6, "Winter Storage - Marine Engines", 12. For additional assurance against freezing and rust, it is recommended that the cooling system be filled with a solution of permanent anti-freeze and water. (It then goes on to explain how to fill through the water distribution block (thermostat cavity)).

OK, this is what I'm trying to get away from. Merc doesn't seem to push it too hard, but they do "recommend" it. Comments?

If there is not water, then there is nothing to freeze.
Make sure you pull the drain plugs in the block to get all the water out.

Bondo

Staff member

Per the manual pg 7D-36, I have three drains--the cylinder block petcock, the exhaust manifold drain plug and the exhaust elbow drain plug.

Ayuh,... I suggest pulling the end of the Big Hose at the circulating waterpump as well...

I usually, but not always Fog the motor,+ the drive is left Down, or taken Off...

Air don't Freeze,+ dry iron don't really Rust......;)

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I completely drain the block and then blow out all open passages to the cooling system pull all hoses and blow through them and the passages to pump therm housing and replace except the therm housing and pour anti freeze in through there up to the lowest drain plug then replace plug pour more in up to next plug and completely fill to therm housing and wait a few untill I see a drip in the pan I place below the outdrive in the down position of anti freeze and then replace the therm cap and tape off the out drive suction vent holes. I do all this after placing stabil in fuel system and fogging the cylinders and stalling the engine via fogging agent. I know some choose to leave the block dry and it makes sence but I like the extra piec of mind that I know there is something anti corrosive in the block and that will not freeze or rust! ( place a pice of sheet metal outside spray it with a hose and let it sit for a day or 2 what happens after the water dries?) I believe the same happens to a block after draining water out of it.

Bondo

Staff member

( place a pice of sheet metal outside spray it with a hose and let it sit for a day or 2 what happens after the water dries?)

Ayuh,... Apples,+ Oranges....
Sheet Metal sure ain't Cast Iron either...

You should try using a paragraph or two,... I couldn't read your post passed the 2nd line...
I'll loan ya a few Periods,... I use too many of 'em anyways....