Winterizing for vintage 1951 seahorse

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wondering should I drain fuel from tank for winter storage or just add some Seafoam or Stabil?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Winterizing for vintage 1951 seahorse

I would drain the entire fuel system. Also, replace the oil/lube in the lower unit.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You get alot of different replies based on geographic location on here. The way a guy winterizes a motor down in Texas might not be quite the same way I would up here in the great white north.

You do not say what motor you are referring to, whether it be a built in tank or portable?

I put stabilizer in my fuel, run it for 10 minutes or so to get the stabilizer into the fuel system. Then fog through the carb intake, raising RPMS a touch to get it through the powerhead until it dies. You can now drain the carb if you like. Some guys run them with the fuel shut off, thinking that it will remove all the fuel from the system. It will not, it will leave a thin puddle in the fuel bowl which will varnish. Then I remove the plugs, and shoot some into the cylinders, turn flywheel by hand a few revolutions to coat the cylinder walls. This also helps remove any excess water from cooling circuit. Keep motor stored vertically, as they are self draining. Now you drain the gear oil and add fresh, along with new crush washers. Spray some oil onto the block to keep it from corroding, and you are all done.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Model # FD13R 5HP Johnson seahorse gas tank on top of motor. Motor will be stored in a unheated garage.
This was the first time i have had this motor running. It has been sitting in my dads Garage for 30 years. I do not think it has been ran in 40 years.
It was my grand fathers motor used for family fishing vacations. It will get used more next year for some fishing with my grandson.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

my recomendations would be to run ethanol free fuel in it, then fill it up and change the lower unit lube. pull it out as soon as posible in spring and start using it.

Stabil will work in ethanol free fuel for a period of about 6 months, then again, ethanol free fuel will last 6 months as well on its own.