Winterized --- quickly and questionable??

alternative

Seaman
Ok, yes ive had problems with my Omc I/O over the past season and thanks to all who have answered my questions.. now i have a mechanic who is gonna go over the entire boat this winter starting with the OD.unit.. he pulled that off and took to his shop. P.S the fluid was milky..what is this a sign of.>>> Curious....... he will work on the oD this winter..right now hes to busy to see the engine and diagnose..so will get it to him in early spring. Anyway, he did however, Winterize it..but not sure if properly? First he pulled plugs and hoses drained water and poured in the "blue-purple antifreeze..next started engine---remember problems here.. wouldnt start easy.. and when did didnt run long.. backfired alot.. he ran enough to dump fog oil down carb.. yes it started smokin but stalled real quick.. tried again but no start. I asked if it was fogged and he says you see all the smoke right ,,yes its fogged..OK just askin... Trust me its fogged...he says..so on we go,, he pulled the drain plug and off he went.. i took care of the head.. Gee only 20 minutes and he charged me $85 ... does this sound right .. i hope so ... Thanks ......

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Winterized --- quickly and questionable??

if he did it atyour house then 85 is good.<br /> he should have fogged itfirst then antifreezed itbutas long as the water was drained before filling with antifreeze all should be ok. especially if you know further work is coming.<br /> good luck and keep posting

alternative

Seaman

what does a typical winterize cost for this boat.. 1988 305 Omc Cobra..I/O ??

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> that question is like how high is up. start a new thread and tell us more about your rig. ie gensets,freshwater systems, saltweater washdowns. who and when did the last drive service. fresh or raw water cooled?<br /> man the list goes on. the basics of winterizing are twofold. one is to catch up on the maint and prevent any systems fromm corroding/degrading while sitting. the second is to protect any water systems from freezing and breaking something.<br /> good luck and keep posting

tommays

Admiral

just to give you and idea in comack long island a basic motor oil,drive oil,minor tune up winterize is 300 dolars + parts on a 3.0 and 400 on V6 or V8 <br /><br />if you want the drive pulled and pressured tested and such than it would be at least 500<br /><br />basic labor rate is 105 dolars per hour<br /><br />i saw those prices and said time to learn about merc DIY service<br /><br />tommays

alternative

Seaman

ok like i said it only had water drained and fogged and little antifreeze put in .. no oil changes and so on.. not even pull batteries.. all for $85.. its a freshwater cooled eng. and i was just curious as to if this were fair.. after reading all the posts on winterizing .. seemed like a bit more to it than my mech.did? no biggie at least its done.. the outdrive is a seperate issue ,, it needs! its biannual maint.. impeller, bearings, grease,etc... thanks

f_inscreenname

Commander

Think of it this way. Any service provider will have a minimum charge. Mine in flooring is (if I take tools out of my truck) $135.00 so if he guarantees it will make it through the winter with no winter related storage problems you made out fine. As for pulling the battery's and stuff, you would be surprised on how many people and marinas (no storage space for hundreds of batteries) leave all that stuff in the boat over the winter. I do not.

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be nice to this mechanic, because he was easy on your wallet.<br />In my area where rates are still resonable, that job would have cost 125.00. :)

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

ideally, your garage is the best place for your battery. at our shop we charge $18.95 for the fog mix we use + labour. if you want to doit yourself next winter mix your own can of 10:1 2stroke mix add 1/2 bottle of stabiliser and run that through until operating temp. drain your manifolds and raw water portion of your heat exchanger and pickup pump and hoses. good luck.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

If you are not convinced the engine was fogged properly and if it did not run for at least a few minutes during the fogging oil being introduced through the carb,then it was not fogged properly,you can still send some fogging oil through the carb and tap the key about 5 times or turn by wrench.Cranking would be best but if you still have the drive on and the impeller for cooling is in the drive you should not crank dry,not even a little.Charlie