winter storage, do you put your trailer on blocks?

Had a guy at the marine repair shop suggested putting my trailer on blocks if it is going to sit in the same place for more than a month, said it would make my tires last longer. I use my boat year round so I don't usually winterize but there are times when I will go a month or so with out using the boat. Any one put your trailer on blocks??? :confused:

Jkurtz29

Seaman Apprentice
Re: winter storage, do you put your trailer on blocks?

I am with you and I don't put the trailer on blocks unless it's going to sit for 5-6 months

braindead0

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll be putting mine on blocks, but I'm not going to be using it for more than a month.<br /><br />The idea is that in case the tires loose pressure, you don't stress the side-walls. I don't think it's that big of an issue with newer tires, but It's not that big a deal to put it on blocks either.<br /><br />But I wouldn't worry about a month!

Seaboo2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It also keeps the springs from loosing their "spring". A better idea (IMHO) for you would be to park the tires on plywood to help slow down dry rotting on the tires (concrete and dirt(outside) are hard on the spot where the tires rest, and the plywood helps prevent the concrete or dirt from drying out (decomposing) the tires).

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

sno,<br />I bought a specific set of jack stands to put my trailer up on during the winter. I don't jack the wheels off the ground, but I do take some of the pressure off the springs. I put the stands under the trailer side rails, behind the tires. Never thought about the tires on the concrete all winter, though. Might use Seaboo's suggestion this time.<br />Happy Boating!<br />Brian