Winter project help

sunbird1

Seaman
I have a 20ft cuddy with a euro transom. The person I bought the boat from removed the rear bench seats that were along the transom wall and installed a piece of marine plywood (2x8) to cover the opening. This gives alot more fishing room which is great, but it does not look that good. The plywood was painted with an oil base paint that really didn't hold up that well and does not wash well either.<br /><br />My question is, should I try a marine paint or is it possible to laminate this plywood with formica? I think the formica would look nice and wash well, but would the heat from the sun and constant hosing break down the glue? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mikedg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Winter project help

Should you stay with a plywood panel, (Starboard is an expensive option) you should flood coat the wood with marine epoxy to ensure you seal out all water. If the appearance is an issue, i.e. painted wood looks a little rough, you may wish to cover it in vinyl to match your boats interior.<br /><br />The task is pretty straight forward. I repaired the transom panel in my last boat this way over a weekend.

sunbird1

Seaman

I thought about starboard but I really didn't want to spend that much money. I actually found some sites on the internet for sheets of PVC. The prices for this were much more reasonable. I'm considering this or if I cheap out just use paint witht the epoxy.<br /><br />thanks

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

You can just paint it, but you sand it, paint it, sand it, so forth. Use a good heavy paint, and with enough coats, it will be smooth enough to be presentable. Also, as previously mentioned, covering it in matching marine vinyl is a good option. You could cover it well under $100, and it will look good.

crab bait

Captain

MIKE ,almost had it.. epoxy 'flood' coat the plywood to hide the 'grain'.. than skuff/sand the epoxy shine off.. wash the amine blush ( wax ) off with 50 / 50 ammonia & water.. then paint with a marine topside paint..your desired color.. it'll look like factory..