WINTER PROJECT: 1971 Glastron V176: SKOOTCH

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All! I live at Lake of the Ozarks, MO and I just got this 1971 last week and I can't wait to fix her up! I'm planning on doing a full restoration and I'm gonna need all the help I can get. I guess you'd call me a newbie, greenhorn, rookie, but don't call me late for supper... I'm also very determined to bring this boat back to its original luster.
I've been reading up on some of these threads and I know I'm in the right place to do this project right. I want to thank all of you who helps me out in advance...Thank you.
Here are some photos of SKOOTCH before I do anything. I look forward to this restoration project and finally getting out on the lake this summer!

Attachments

• glastron redo 1.jpg
    glastron redo 1.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 0
  • glastron 19.jpg
    glastron 19.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 0
  • glastron redo 3.jpg
    glastron redo 3.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 0
  • glastron 16.jpg
    glastron 16.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 0
  • glastron 18.jpg
    glastron 18.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: WINTER PROJECT: 1971 Glastron V176: SKOOTCH

Hey skootch welcom to iBoats! Need to size your pics to 640x480. Makes for better viewing. Check out my signature line for how to post pics. Just leave out #14 and you'll be good to go. You're gunna have fun with her and learn a lot. Keep postin pics of your progress and don't be afraid to as those "Head Scratchin" questions. That's what all of us are here for and we have heard em all before.

Good Luck

I'm just sayin...:D

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Welcome to Iboats m8 :) .

Before you do anything buy a good Resporator and a few grinding/paint suits .. your going to need them :) .

I would also recommend calculating a restoration Cost of the project just to make sure it fits your budget. If your good to go then Lets Break out the grinders :) .

YD.

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a little note to you, skootch. I'm a newbie as well and these guys will definitely help you through it properly. I'm just doing my first resto and I would have been lost without the help on iboats!

Good luck.

.......and don't forget to resize those pics, like Wood said. Keep 'em comin'.

See my signature line for my resto......lots of answered questions in there.

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys, thanks for the support! i will resize these pics for ya. I'll go pick up a good respirator today for sure !

Thanks guys!:cool:

redfury

Commander

Good to see another 'tron being brought back to life! I'll be sure to check in on your progress often! :D

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Where are the links to the photos????????

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

Heres some pics of yesterday. Im gonna be workin' on her some more this weekend, Thanks everybody!! Did I get the pics to go the right size???

Attachments

• glastron 17.jpg
    glastron 17.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0
  • glastron 15.jpg
    glastron 15.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Glastron 14.jpg
    Glastron 14.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 0
  • glastron redo 2.jpg
    glastron redo 2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 0
  • glastron 20.jpg
    glastron 20.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Great job on the pics. Good luck on your project.

redfury

Commander

Yup, pics are fine! If you want to host the pics yourself, there are a lot of great sites that help size the pics for forums automatically. I personally use Picasa from Google and upload to picasaweb.com right from the program and host the photos from there, so you don't have to click on a thumbnail to view them, and Google automatically sizes them for me, so all I have to do is copy the link to the picture and post it here to see it.

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for the picture tips, I will use that Picasa for now on. I cant wait to get workin on the SKOOTCH this weekend! Thanks guys!

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Very cool Boat I used to have its baby sister a 1970 V156. I would love to find either V156 or V176 to re live my youth. Actually there is what looks like a V176 that has been sitting for years on my way home. One of these day I will make the U-turn and check if its for sale. Good luck with the restore I will be keeping an eye on it.

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

Yesterday, when I started pulling the deck up, it was all rotten and I noticed the stringers were starting to rot also. When the stringers are rotten, does that alway mean the transom is rotten?? Thanks Ya'll!:confused:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not ALWAYS but it is a GOOD indicator. To find out drill some exploratory holes in the transom from the inside. Use a 3/8 inc bit and drill about 3/4" deep at various places in the transom 2" up from the bottom. If you get Light Tan DRY shaving then she is OK, if you get dark brown WET shavings or DRY Powder then.... She'll need to be replaced. Take some pics and let us know what you find.

I'm just sayin...:D

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the tip, Woodonglass! I will do that as soon as I get home tonight. Heres Hopin'!

tallcanadian

Captain

Welcome Skootch. First things first...great looking boat, very nice piece. Chances are that the transom is bad as well. I don't want to sugar coat it.. You have a lot to work with here. Take your time and have fun. It will be worth all the work...promise.

parrisw

Ensign

Nice boat looking forward to the progress.

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

Yellow Ya'll !!

Is there anything I should look out for when I go to remove the cap from the hull? Do I need to support the cap so it wont flex as well as the hull? Thanks for your tips! :)

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yellow Ya'll !!

Is there anything I should look out for when I go to remove the cap from the hull? Do I need to support the cap so it wont flex as well as the hull? Thanks for your tips! :)
Some guys put 2x3s across the hull after the cap is off. I used rachet straps....works fine. See the link in my signature for pics.

tallcanadian

Captain

I left mine on the trailer when I rebuild it. I did however put a strap around it to pull the sides in a bit when I started the rebuild.