Winter painting project?

83 sleek

Seaman Apprentice
Ive got an 83 Sleekcraft Ambassador 26'. The paint scheme is not one I would have ordered but I love the boat too much. I read article another member linked to about new LPU paints by awlgrip and sterling which claim to be just as durable as gelcoat. I'm wondering if anyone has used these paints and is the durable part true(not easily scratched or dinged)?

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa416/travisjnlb/Sleekcrarft/100_1028.jpg
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa416/travisjnlb/100_1048.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Winter painting project?

Properly applied, the LPU type paints are as or more durable than gelcoat. Many new custom built yachts and the like are painted with them instead of gelcoated. Hatteras yachts are also painted for quality reasons.

If you want durability, I think you'd be happy with many of the two part paints that are out there. Epoxy or LPU.

Just be aware that some of them are toxic, and will require special application tools. Many of the paints you can now roll and tip by hand, and get very good results. I'd recommend those.

Erik

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Just a quick tip about winter time paint work. Temperature matters. If you can't control it don't do it, you will not be a happy camper. You can however, do all the prep work and then when that perfect 65 degree dry spring day finally does come around your neighborhood.. Paint, Paint, Paint.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello Sleek...

Yup..worked with many a LPU jobs..

Sterling is more of a West coast product ..where Awlgrip is everywhere.

Its basically the same stuff. Sterling was after some Awlgrip guy had problems with them and started making his Own .. Sterling ( history ).

The thing about LPs are that they are the most durable of all the marine paints that I know of. They are the best in the depth and wet look. They are the most Toxic ( will kill you if not treated with respect ).

Another thing is that LPs have the clear in the mix that surfaces..IF you end up scratching it..or have some other repair.. It will never be able to be repaired like a blendable paint ( Imron or awlcraft 2000 for instance ). so ya better spray/roll-tip it right the first time ;)

Good stuff though :)

YD.