Windshield glass on new boats - do they turn blue?

hokiepoq

Seaman
I posted earlier my quest for a new boat. One boat I'm looking at is a Pilot house type boat from Pro-line. Certainly looks appealing, staying out of the weather and everything, but my only experience with boats is with very old boats where the windshields turn "blue" over time (i.e., you can't see out of them). With a pilot house type of setup, this would be terrible if this were to happen. Has glass improved over the years so this isn't a concern? How do you keep the glass on a pilot-house from being opaque even on a trip in saltwater? Do the wipers work that well? Seems very appealing except for that worry....

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Windshield glass on new boats - do they turn blue?

If the glass is flat it's not a big deal to replace it. I personally have never heard of glass turning blue with age.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've only seen it start to frost or get cloudy around the edges on very old automobiles. I have a 32 year old boat and its tempered glass windscreen is of good quality and all clear.
Have 110 year old glass in my home, you can tell its old, its got all kinds of little imperfections in it, still clear. Plate glass.
I think the stuff that gets cloudy is laminated.

The boat mentioned "certainly does look appealing". :cool:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Glass windows will last darn near ForEver....
Unlike Plastic which goes to 'ell in the sun....