windows 10

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
ok i am giving it a try and so far its dial up slow and dosnt remember settings so i am not remotely impressed, free and worth ever cent

boatman37

Lieutenant
lol. i have held off and hope to. i still have 7 on my PC's and plan to stay that way as long as i can. my son has 8 and told me last night that he was in the middle of upgrading to 10 so i will try his out. 8 already sucks so i guess 10 can't be much worse can it? lol

aspeck

Staff member
10 works faster for me and gives me more of he 7 feel with the 8 benefits. Without a touch screen, probably not worth the upgrade from 7. It has taken me a while to figure out the settings changes I wanted. Default settings are horrible.

Last edited:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I installed 10 a couple of weeks ago, then reversed it to 7 a few days later. I found some incompatibility with other software (SolidWorks) that apparently becomes the other software's responsibility to adapt to 10 somehow. Note that Microsoft will freely allow you to revert to your earlier version, but only within 30 days. Now I keep getting a prompt that my Windows 10 is ready for upgrade. I wonder how long that will persist? - Grandad

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
well i have 2 hard drives in my desk top, i kept 7 on one and did the up grade to 10 on the other and my thoughts at the moment is its gona take years to polish this turd

oldjeep

Admiral
No issues so far on any of the 4 machines we have upgraded. Seems faster than Win 7 or 8 and no compatibility issues with any of the non MS software we are running. I will say that all of our machines are 2 years old or newer, have not tried loading it on anything old.

thumpar

Admiral
I installed it the day it came out. I had been running the preview in VM before. It is just as fast as Windows 7 and have had no incompatibility issues. If you have windows 8 I would say it is a for sure thing to do. If you have windows 7 and like it it is your decision. I hate windows 8.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
I'm still waiting to be told its available for downloading. I WILL get rid of Win8 even if I have to buy a new computer with win7 on it.

thumpar

Admiral
With the media creation tool you can just install or make an actual disk. I have both 32 and 64 bit disks for customer computers but installed my without media.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I thought that could only be done if you use to have Win7 on the puter.
No although the harder part may be getting all the drivers. Should be able to get those from the PC manufacturer.

You have to buy a Win 7 license. Maybe that is what you are confused about.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I'm waiting a bit to see what everyone here decides. :D
My gf switched to 10 and she is fairly savvy. I think some of their defaults are pretty stupid from what I saw. Is just going to take time getting it personalized.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I'm waiting a bit to see what everyone here decides. :D

I have Winblows 7 Ultimate on my other laptop......
After I removed KB3035583 (the Windows 10 nagware patch), it stopped bugging me to switch.
I'll consider WIN10 when Microshaft announces EOL for 7

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
For all of you switching to 10, make sure you carefully read the EULA. Focus closely on the security and privacy settings. 10 will be an AD-pushing monster that cannot be stopped.

Instead of ads in your browser, there'll be directed ads pushed as "MS Important Software Updates" that will "pop-up" from either your task bar or directly on the desktop. One of the "features" of 10 (the free one) is that you cannot opt out of "updates"

Once they get everybody completely completely hooked on 10 and/or it's follow-on, and thoroughly irritated because they cannot stop the updates, MS will roll out the paid "no-ad" subscription of windows. (be sure to save your old copy of 7 or 8 so you can go back!)

The MS Board of directors are not stupid. They're not giving something away for free to be nice.......

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
For all of you switching to 10, make sure you carefully read the EULA. Focus closely on the security and privacy settings. 10 will be an AD-pushing monster that cannot be stopped.

Instead of ads in your browser, there'll be directed ads pushed as "MS Important Software Updates" that will "pop-up" from either your task bar or directly on the desktop. One of the "features" of 10 (the free one) is that you cannot opt out of "updates"

Once they get everybody completely completely hooked on 10 and/or it's follow-on, and thoroughly irritated because they cannot stop the updates, MS will roll out the paid "no-ad" subscription of windows. (be sure to save your old copy of 7 or 8 so you can go back!)

The MS Board of directors are not stupid. They're not giving something away for free to be nice.......

Thanks for the heads up.