Window Air Conditioners

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I was just wondering if window air conditioners are supposed to weep condensation, sometime, never, or all the time. I have 3 of them. They seem to be pooling water on the side where there is no weep hole. I have checked the level of all 3 units, and they're right on, as far as the directions go. One Danby 8500 BTU, and 2 Kenmore 10,000 BTU's. I know its alot of kilowatts p/hr, but we don't run it alot. Just wondering if water should be sitting there, going nowhere, or drill a hole (although Kenmore says not to drill a hole). Do the AC units use the water that is sitting there? The Danby is 15 yrs old, and still works, although I put a hole where the water was standing, a few yrs ago. Couldn't stand seeing flies and mosquitoes sittting
in the water. The newest Kenmore is still under warranty and don't want to
void it. For the life of me, I can't get condensation to the only open hole on the bottom of this unit.
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in. Thanks for any help.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Window Air Conditioners

i drilled one i have about 8 yrs old cause it was nasty, some catfood fell in and mold, nasty so to avoid the pool i drilled 2 holes still works, the water is just condensation off of the evaporator therefore the water is a byproduct of the cooling procees (and heat) just like in your car, it dosent "save" it for anything just dumps on to the ground, they maybe dont tell u to drill b/c it will rustout sooner or if on a poarch will cause alge buildup from always being wet wersuse the heat evaping the water?

Bass Tracker TX17

Petty Officer 1st Class

condensation is a normal by product of the ac working especially on high humid days. i have always had a downward tilt backwards away from the window to help drain this water. A level ac will pool water. Tilt it a little and a lot of your problem should dribble away.

WizeOne

Commander

I installed a 12k btu unit for my Father a couple of years back. The lower tray had a fitting on it to hook a drain hose. I would have thought they were all like that. Maybe only the bigger ones have them.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Many of the newer window A/C units have a slinger that throws the water back up on the condenser coil for added efficiency...

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I installed a 12k btu unit for my Father a couple of years back. The lower tray had a fitting on it to hook a drain hose. I would have thought they were all like that. Maybe only the bigger ones have them.

Can you describe what that fitting looked like? I have been trying to cook one up for my little hand me down window unit so I can drain it into the gutter instead of letting pool up on a flat roof. There is about a three quarter inch hole in the back panel that looks like there used to be a rubber grommet or some other fitting on it. What did yours look like. I don't mean to hijack the thread but I think your response would help the original poster as well. Thanks

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Many of the newer window A/C units have a slinger that throws the water back up on the condenser coil for added efficiency...

Yep, but I thought all did that, even the old ones.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Rickd is right on. The condensate will help cool the high pressure gas coming out of the compressor and helps lower the amp draw. That is where they get the efficiency. Mine are the same way and I will not drill any holes. They were engineered that way for a reason. BTW, the heat will dry up that water once the humidity inside the structure is removed.

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all, for the responses. I'll take the advise and not drill the new one.
Thanks again.

WizeOne

Commander

Can you describe what that fitting looked like? I have been trying to cook one up for my little hand me down window unit so I can drain it into the gutter instead of letting pool up on a flat roof. There is about a three quarter inch hole in the back panel that looks like there used to be a rubber grommet or some other fitting on it. What did yours look like. I don't mean to hijack the thread but I think your response would help the original poster as well. Thanks

I'd have to stop by and take a look. It's been a while, but after reading the later posts maybe your unit is not supposed to have one.

hazwild

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Being i work for sears and repair these formention units i would not drill just tilt it back a little and let the sling blade do the rest.

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd have to stop by and take a look. It's been a while, but after reading the later posts maybe your unit is not supposed to have one.

There is some discoloration around around that hole like there used to be some sort of fitting in there. I really don't know but I was picturing some sort of grommet that you could attach a hose to. If you happen to get over there and take a look let me know. I kinda put this on the back burner. When I first installed the unit it looked like it was staining the flat roof, but after it has been running for a while I don't think i see anymore stains.

Nandy

Commander

And if you decide to drill a hole, please, make sure the unit is dry. Last thing you want is a pool of water draining on your 110vac plugged drill!!!

Shizzy

Ensign

the last couple units I have had have also had the water flining fan deal as well. I dont think any of them driped any water out of the unit.