Wind storm hits Kentucky hard

mrmushroomman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On Sunday we had 70-80mph winds come through for about 4 hours knocking out 500,000 peoples power. They are telling us that we could be out for 2 weeks. Schools are closed for up to 2 weeks also. Govenor declared state of emergency and is sending in the National Guard in today. We sent about 300 electric crews down to Texas so we are struggling to get restored. I know that people who live on the coasts are used to high winds but, it has been over 30 years since we have had a storm that was this bad here in Ky. Unfortantly we did not get any rain that is much needed and if we would have it proably would have made things much worse than they already are. Luckily my work has power so i am able to still use the forum.

Uraijit

Banned
Re: Wind storm hits Kentucky hard

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get your power restored quickly.

Back when I lived in Oklahoma and Tennessee, there seemed to be a couple of wind storms a year. About every 3 years, there's a really good "ice storm", which knocks out just about all the power in the state.

I wired in a generator for my dad, so that all he has to do is shut off his power main (so he doesn't charge up the lines) flips a breaker in his breaker panel inside, and fires his generator (which runs on natural gas, piped from a well on the property).

It's not big enough to run every light and appliance in the house at once (almost 5000 sq ft.), but it keeps his fans for his heater running, and keeps the food from spoiling in the fridge. Sure beats burning candles for light, and wood for heat! He's had to use it several times in the last few years.

Every time it happens, they end up burying a little bit more of the line. Maybe one day, they'll get them all buried, and they won't have to shut down half the state every time mother nature sneezes. :D

gonefishie

Commander

We had gust up of to 60mph here. We were gone most of the day and didn't get back until late Sunday night. Early yesterday morning I got a call at work and was informed that I got work to do when I get home. You guess it, part of a large tree in my back yard was laying on the ground. The good part was that I didn't lost any blood this time. :D

gonfishn

Commander

Ohio got hit pretty hard with the same wind. I saw 150 year old trees toppled like match sticks. Double that and you got what folks in Texas went through.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Ohio got hit pretty hard with the same wind. I saw 150 year old trees toppled like match sticks. Double that and you got what folks in Texas went through.

6 deaths
1.3 million without power
84 of 88 counties with damage

I manage my trees and didn't have any damage. I had to remove a tree that blew over in front of one of the stores. My power was out for 7 hours, but I ran my generator. Some people won't have their power until Sunday.

Didn't get hardly a drop of rain out of it, just wind. We was a bit lucky that it went north of us. I always feel for those who live by the coast, but it is their home. Seems as all of us have to face the fury of nature no matter where we live. Hope all the iboaters have fared this bad storm...............SS

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Oh man that bites. I lose power about 6 times a year and have a 6000kw generator that I have wired to power the whole house. Using CF lights in the house really extends the capabilities of the generator. The generator has a 5 gallon tank, and that will keep it humming for about 8 hours. I hope the people with generators are able to get the gas they need to operate them.

Phantom_II

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It always amazes me the damage that winds do in other places.

Watching the news about 40-50 mph gusts knocking down trees, power lines and mobile homes while sitting in my living room listening to the usual springtime 60-80 mph sustained winds for weeks on end with gusts over 100 mph and business goes on as usual (except that they frequently close the highways because the trucks tend to flip over).

Must be a geographic thing.

gonefishie

Commander

It always amazes me the damage that winds do in other places.

Must be a geographic thing.

Yep! Most houses out there probably built with brick and cement. In these parts they're built with wood and siding.

puddle jumper

Captain

As long as the Kentucky fried chicken farm is safe.:eek:
Ahhhhh Kentucky fried chicken in my best Homer Simpson voice:D

Tyme2fish

Commander

Tyme is finally back on line. Lost power on Sunday and finally got it restored on Wednesday at 8:07 PM.

I've got portions (big slabs, etc) of at least 18 trees damaged and blown down on my 5 acres.

Neighbors came together and chain saws came out to clear the road immediately after the storm blow thru.

Mrs. Tyme and I cooked on the gas grill for 3 nights, utilized my fishing gear for lights,etc.

Brought in the outside landscape lights for enterior lighting once the sun went down.

Country boys can survide.

I'm now waiting for the electric water heater to get enough hot water to take a shower on Thursday morning. Ya might not see me, but ya can sure smell me.!!!!