win 10 issues.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Agree with HT32. I have been running it for 15 years, and when I really need a Windows program ( TT or HR Block, I run it in a virtual machine running XP. Works great )

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
82rude, yes it is. That will do it.

Note, it requires a clean install.

EDIT: it is for a 64 bit system. - EDIT 2 Just checked, you have a 64 bit system.

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
ok thanks.Done ,looks like I will have something to do Friday.I hate a balky comp/os!

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
.Appreciate the suggestions guys,but I really don't feel like learning a new o.s.It will be much easier to fresh install the win7 which at least is supported by dell for the 5420.I spend a faor amount of time on the old girl and am looking forward to a system that is more stable than the win 10 at least for my rig.May be afterwards I could partition the drive and play with Linux?

bigdee

Commander
Thunderbird just released ver 45.4.0 on October 3,2016. I have automatic updates so I did not even know until I checked.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
82rude, if you would like to play and learn Linux, install VirtualBox on your system ( there is a Windows version ) . That will let you create and run a virtual guest of your choice ( multiple ones if you have the hard file space and horsepower.).
I have my 'Tax Machine' as a virtual win XP guest. I can run it on my Windows 10 machine or my Linux machine.
Something to keep you off the streets at night getting into trouble.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
May be afterwards I could partition the drive and play with Linux?
You could of course do that.

HD's are so cheap nowadays ,I would suggest buying another HD (500GB etc) to install Linux on......Then swap it with the HD that has your working copy of Winxx on it when you want to tinker.......It takes minutes to replace an HD in most laptops.

If you screw something up, you can just re-install Linux on the second drive without affecting your working copy of Win7.

boatman37

Lieutenant
Just install virtualbox. its free and you can install just about any OS on it. then you don't have to shut down to change systems. and you can network them together. you can also clone a system so if you screw it up too bad you can delete it and re-clone a new copy

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like there are a couple of us hiding in these here forums.

boatman37

Lieutenant
And I thought I was the only computer geek around here!;);)

well i have 2 servers on my home network. 1 running VMWare ESXi 5.5 with about 10 VM's and the other has server 2008 R2 with virtualbox and about 10 or so VM's in there. and a dedicated hardware firewall. guess i'm a geek too. :cool:

82rude

Rear Admiral
Install done sort of.Still have tons of updates to install but win 7 is back and loving it already.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Install done sort of.Still have tons of updates to install but win 7 is back and loving it already.

Yeah. Bring your lunch and dinner. Those updates usually take all day...... multiple reboots and you have to be there for all of it!

If you don't mind telling.......What exactly do you do with that computer?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Bought a HP 10" Notebook and a Dell 14" Lap Top, both came with Windows 10 which drove me insame to use, before that was a Win X Pro lover which by the way it's still installed on my old main desk server. Bought 2 Win 7 Pro licenses and installed on both computers, way to go for me along friendly to use. Find Win 10 to darn complicated to use.

Happy Boating

82rude

Rear Admiral
Use the laptop for general surfing and my banking.Also use for streaming to my tv .Yes according to my comp I have 10 downloads at 4 hours and who knows after that,lol.For the life of me I cant remember how to keep comp from going to sleep after a period of time.duh.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
..l.For the life of me I cant remember how to keep comp from going to sleep after a period of time.duh.
Try Control Panel -> Power Options. Look at the different options, and you can change the settings.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Just double checked my comp and it the windows disc came with sp1.Update shows 15 updates and that's it .The comp can search for updates all day long and nothing so can I assume I have them all?Computer seems to run fine.Sp1 seems to be the biggey that takes time on the net to download.My version came with it.