Will this work?

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Currently I have a 23p SS prop on my boat. it is a Mirage.
330 hp
24ft
1989 Arriva
approx 4,000 lbs
WOT is about 42 - 4300

My question is, if I go to a 21p SS mirage plus will it work as well or maybe give me a little more top-end?

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Will this work?

Currently I have a 23p SS prop on my boat. it is a Mirage.
330 hp
24ft
1989 Arriva
approx 4,000 lbs
WOT is about 42 - 4300

My question is, if I go to a 21p SS mirage plus will it work as well or maybe give me a little more top-end?
It might, And it might not, It all depends on if you know what your top rpms should be, There should be a sticker on top of the engine that will tell you your max rpm for your engine, You need to find a prop that will put you with in the max rpms to get all your hores power out of the engine. By the way the props that you are thinking of using is a good choise to use over all to find your top rpms and speed;)

Also are you triming the drive up a little bit to get to the 4200 rpms you are getting right now???

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just because you change to a lower pitch prop to gain rpm does not mean the boat gains speed. Remember, pitch is the factor that moves the boat forward. A 23 pitch propeller theoretically moves the boat forward 23 inches with each revolution. A 21 pitch would move the boat forward only 21 inches. So the added rpm comes from the decrease in pitch and speed will stay the same. Generally, IF an engine is being severely lugged (too much prop) a drop in pitch may put the engine back into the power band so the usual 150 -200 rpm gain per inch of pitch becomes much more than that and you could see a fair speed increase. However, if you are close to the power band, then dropping pitch raises rpm and increases hole shot but top speed may or may not be affected, and certainly not by 4 - 5 mph. In fact, rpm gain may be enough that it puts the engine in "over rev" territory. You need to learn to use and understand a prop calculator like this one:

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm

The optimum prop is one that puts the engine at or near the upper end of the engine manufacturers recommended WOT rpm band with what you consider an average load. Top speed will be whatever that provides. You don't shoot for a given top speed and try to find a prop that does that. You shoot for the upper end of the rpm band and speed will be the net result.

boat1010

The wot for the motor is 4600. I just had a new long block put in the boat. Thanks for your replies. I was just trying to get the RPM's up a little and maybe getting a little more on the top end. The guy that did the motor was talking about the mirage "plus" say that the cupping on the prop is a little harder to turn but will give you a little better performance. But I just can't afford to buy a prop not knowing if it is going to be any better. LOL wish there was someplace around that you could "try" out a prop before you actually have to buy it. Thanks again.

Fun Times

Staff member

The wot for the motor is 4600. I just had a new long block put in the boat. Thanks for your replies. I was just trying to get the RPM's up a little and maybe getting a little more on the top end. The guy that did the motor was talking about the mirage "plus" say that the cupping on the prop is a little harder to turn but will give you a little better performance. But I just can't afford to buy a prop not knowing if it is going to be any better. LOL wish there was someplace around that you could "try" out a prop before you actually have to buy it. Thanks again.
There is, Some mercruiser Premier Service
dealers out there that have a try before you by program;) Here is a link to help find a mercruiser Premier Service
dealer in your area that may be able to help you out.
http://sites.mercurymarine.com/portal/page?_pageid=126,50050,126_50382&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Mercury Demo Propeller Dealers have a selection of ready-to-use Mercury Marine propellers available for testing on your boat. This gives you a chance to find the propeller that best meets your needs.

boat1010

Thanks Boat teck... Never knew that.