will this create problems?

rmcduffie70

Cadet
Needs some info on if this is going to create huge problems. 1992 Bayliner 2050, 5.0L Alpha 1 gen 2. There is a fin boken and I believe maybe a plug on top near the back of the upper? from what I can tell in the service manual there should be a plug there and its kind of vague or if there should be a trim tab there or what?
outdrive.jpg

ChiefBoater

Cadet
Re: will this create problems?

As to problems - perhaps trimming will be a little off and a little more cavitation - but not entirely sure.

As for the hole, there is a bolt that goes inside that connects to a trim anode underneath - you should be able to look underneath that hole and see a bolt holding the lower to the upper - the trim anode sits in that spot.

Hope that helps.

rmcduffie70

Cadet

As to problems - perhaps trimming will be a little off and a little more cavitation - but not entirely sure.

As for the hole, there is a bolt that goes inside that connects to a trim anode underneath - you should be able to look underneath that hole and see a bolt holding the lower to the upper - the trim anode sits in that spot.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the response, Im not at the house to look under it right now but from what i remember there is nothing underneath there? What is a trim anode and possibly may be missing it too?

ChiefBoater

Cadet

Should be: Google - Sierra International 18-6012 Marine Anode for Mercruiser Stern Drive

I just replaced mine - some are smaller, some are flat, depends on your needs but usually an anode goes there.

rmcduffie70

Cadet

ok sounds good, also do you know without the anode there, or bolt, or plug at the top, is water getting in to places it shouldnt?? thats really my main concern now, ive researched anode and it seems to help with steering torque on non power steering models. Mine has power steering so I would probably put a flat one on there anyhow, im just wondering if its letting water get in to the drive or anything by all of that missing.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Anode plate/trim tab is not a pressure boundary. Drive will operate without it (of course, however, its purpose is for corrosion protection and in the case of non-PS, to help with steering so in either case, it has a design reason for it being there).... Hope this helps.

mercs4mark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No water is getting to places it shouldn't without the missing pieces

Bondo

Staff member

No water is getting to places it shouldn't without the missing pieces

Ayuh,.... Like the exhaust bellows, it's Wet there under normal operatin' conditions anyways,...

You Are gonna get a bunch more cavitation, 'n ventilation from the cav-plate bein' broken,...