Will it fit ? for Joe R or Dhadley

skyguy59

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I never got an answer to this earlier. Application data for Voltage regulator P/N 585195 says for all crossflow V4s and V6s. When I look at the plate on top of my 72 100 HP it has an "ear" that sticks out and holds the temp switch for the choke in place. The regulator doesn't have this ear and I'm thinking it wont work. Am I right or am I missing something? Should I use a different Part number?<br /><br />TIA<br /><br />Russ In Texas

alcan

Commander
Re: Will it fit ? for Joe R or Dhadley

Hi Skyguy<br />I am confused. As far as I know your 1972 model doesn't use a voltage regulator in the system. I tried to look up the part # you post and can not find in any of my OMC books. Unless there is something I'm missing, I think you are correct, it will not work.

skyguy59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know it doesn't use a regulator. I dont care for the voltage output of the unregulated system and thought if it wasn't too much of a hassle I would add a regulator. The Sierra number is 18-5825 any application data says for all crossflow v4s. It was just a thought.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Russ In Texas

DHPMARINE

Captain

Back in '72 we didn't use terms such as cross flow.Sierra as good as it is wasn't born yet,I believe.Just another thought.<br /><br />DHP

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Skyguy59, Im not sure I'd do that with the battery CD system. First Im not sure what effect it would have on the clipper circuit. Second, youre supposed to be using a fairly large battery (they used to recommend an 85 amp hour back then) and since its a battery system I'm not sure you want to cut off the juice. Ever priced an pulse pack for that motor? <br /><br />And that thermo switch for the "half choke" was discontinued by a service bulletin back in the 70's. <br /><br />As expensive as those parts are and as hard to find as they are, I'd run it as intended.

skyguy59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, they are quite proud of the pulse packs. I have already blown one CDI pulse pack and that is what has me spooked. I'm pretty sure the pack was defective because the engine would only turn 4700 at WOT and the timing was erratic. It lasted about an hour then went. With the new pack (they warrantied the first one) the timing is stable and it turns 5500 at WOT.(no changes other than the pack) I have a group 27 110 AH battery. The half choke is disconnected. The clipper is removed per CDI instructions. Even with the running lights on it gets close to 15 VDC in cruise. With all of the posts on here about unregulated charging systems going to 16 to18 VDC, I'm worried about the 16VDC limit on the pack. Sometime too much research is worse than not enough!<br />Thanks for the reply<br /><br />Russ In Texas

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You will need to improvise some brackets to mount this regulator. Don't just hang it by one bolt as it will very quickly break. A bracket needs to have two support points suitably spaced for stability. Then mount the regulator to that bracket. Just make sure it clears the cover when its installed securely to the engine and does not hinder operation of other mechanical systems.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Upinsmoke - the rec/reg he's talking about is a water cooled deal. It has to be mounted in the top of the block so the cooling fins are in the water. If its not, it'll burn up right away. It will indeed be "upinsmoke".<br /><br />Sky - the one youre looking at is for any crossflow with a 35 amp system which was much later than 1972.

skyguy59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just how worried should I be about the voltage anyway? Is the powerpack really that sensitive to higher than 16 volts or is it the manufacturer's cover your A** sort of thing. On one hand I worry about the voltage being too high, on the other hand I keep thinking that they have been running these old motors like this since 72. Am I trying to fix something that ain't broke?<br /><br />Thanks again<br /><br />Russ In Texas

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

To be honest, I've never worried about that with those old motors but its been a very very long time since we've even seen one. If I was concerned about one, and I see your point after losing a new pack, I'd talk to CDI. Since they built the pack they obviously have a great knowledge of that system. If a regulator would be helpful I'm sure they would know. <br /><br />The other thing is that I cant remember for the life of me if that opening is the same shape as the 73 or not. I dont think it is. The thing to do is to order a gasket for that cover from a 73 or newer and see if it will fit yours.<br /><br />If that opening isnt the same shape then it wont fit anyway.

walleyehed

Admiral

I may be wrong, but I think the amp out-put is going to be more important than the voltage.<br />See what they say.

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

Dhadley couldn't he just run two batteries in parallel to absorb the extra voltage. I have heard of that working on an unregulated charging system. Sounds better than rigging a regulator that wasn't made for that motor

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yep, lots of boats were rigged that way. Not so much for the "overcharging" but just the standard reasons for duel batterys.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Skyguy I know you don't have a voltage regulator,but isn't there a rectifier?Also could be the insulation on the stator wires has gone south,and the system is just charging away.<br /><br />DHP

skyguy59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes I have a rectifier and the charging system is working to book spec. It has never went over about 14.8 volts but to me the potential that it could poses a problem worth looking into. As I said too much research can be as bad as not enough. After the first pack failed I exhausted the search feature trying to learn everything I could about the system so as to prevent another failure. It never hurts to ask questions especially with the wealth of knowledge available on this aboard. I think Dhadley said it right when he said "I'd run it as intended" and thats what I'm going to do. If it was that big of a problem the factory would have put a regulator on it. I'll just keep an eye on the voltage.<br />Thanks for all of the replies and HH<br /><br />Russ In Texas

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm not an expert on CDI systems, especially for boats... BUT the recommended rating on that system sounds like a CYA by the manufacturer. If it's not a jobber system (which it certainly doesn't sound like) then if the voltage reaching the unit does ever break the 16v barrier it shouldn't immediately effect it. After pro-longed high voltage, especially high voltage spikes, then you're asking for trouble. Most components used in CDI systems for motorcycles (the ones I've seen) are usually rated well above what the manufacturer specifies as the max, but extra voltage does equal heat and eventually the magic smoke will be released.<br /><br />It almost sounds like to me you should check the rectifier unit, if you haven't already done so. Just checking the charge going to the battery isn't going to cut it. Disconnect the rectifier and check each of the diodes (if it doesn't say how to in your manual I'll be glad to help you out). Also check the resistance of your stator windings. Everything may seem fine when it's running but you could have have an intermitant short happening. You may also have a bad ground connection on your rectifier unit itself. This is probably the most important ground in the charging system, check it and clean it. <br /><br />If there isn't a voltage regulator already on the motor I'd have to say that the rectifier also houses the regulator (very common practice). Again if you experience a voltage spike this would point to a bad ground as this is where extra voltage is bled off by the regulator system. <br /><br />If all else fails and you want to keep a close eye on the voltage going to the CDI unit, install a cheapo volt meter so you can keep an eye on it.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That motor has a rectifier only. If it wasnt working the battery would not be charging at all or at about 1/2 rate at best if one side failed.<br /><br />Keep in mind this is a battery CD (uses battery voltage for the initial charge) system not a CDI (capicator discharge ignition) system (magneto type). And a CDI ignition system is different than the ignition component company CDI and/or Rapair.

skyguy59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have already checked everything with a meter and it's just like it is supposed to be. Rectifier and battery are new. I have a volt meter in the dash that I have checked against a calibrated multimeter. Battery charges great. This is more like a "What if" thing than a problem. There have been alot of technological advances since this motor was built. If a simple mod can prevent a problem in the future, then why not do it. This is apparently not the case here. But now I have asked enough questions and am satisfied with the answers to be comfortable leaving the system as designed (OMC engineers breath a sigh of relief at this point)and doing good maintenance to keep the system working properly. <br /><br />Russ In Texas

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If half the rectifier was gone it should short to ground and if it's fused then it should blow that fuse. Didn't realize CDI in this case is different then the CDI I've grown to hate ;) My appologies.<br /><br />Ya know skyguy, I have a '72 100hp as well, fitting a '76 power tilt/trim unit to it, and wasn't even really sure it had a charging system until I read this post. I better get checking mine *laugh*. If you do decide that you do want to eventually put a voltage regulator on the system let me know as I'm going to pursue it now that I know the motor has a charging system, but I'll be building my own. Ciao and sorry about my confusion in the earlier post.

skyguy59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have been following the thread about your power trim retro. Let me know how that goes and I might play "copycat" as I would love to have PT&T on mine and would prefer not to use the aftermarket trim.<br /><br />Russ In Texas