Will Alpha 1 outdrive hold up with hopped up 5.0 mercruiser

I have found the problems to my smoking issue and am going to go ahead and hop up the 5.0 motor that i got. There are a few things that i would really like to know. i hae an alpha 1 outdrive with 220 hours on it and i would like to know if it will hold up if i build my motor to have between 500-600 hp? Also my boat is a 1999 searay 215 express cruiser and will that hp make my boat be alot faster and more quicker? thanks in advance

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Will Alpha 1 outdrive hold up with hopped up 5.0 mercruiser

dont think a 305 will go that many horses, 300 about the max for alpha.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

No -- a little -- yes

NHGuy

Captain

Do a lot of research on engine design, particularly camshaft. You can't have much overlap or you'll get engine destroying reversion. Look it up. Reversion limits how much HP you can build the motor to.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

To make a 305 produce that amount of power will require a lot of top end, higher revs than a drive will take. It will also mean a loss of low end torque, making the boat undriveable at lower speeds. The only way to make the sort of power you seem to be looking for and retain a degree of 'driveability' is to get a much bigger engine, something like a 8.2 litre, but even they are only producing 430hp in standard configuration. And you'll need a Bravo XR drive.

Ok, on to the boat. I've searched and found a few pictures of your boat, nice looking. I suspect it's slightly lighter than mine. The hull deadrise looks a little less too, so I can tell you that my 220hp V6 shoves my boat along at well over 40 knots, but to get to 50 I suspect I'll need more like 350hp. It's all about the exponential. To double your speed you need something in the order of 4 times the power. I would think the 305 is pushing you along at about 28-30 knots. To get to 45 knots you'll need about 400+hp, and you're not going to get that from a 305. I've also looked up where you use the boat, your on the Atlantic Ocean! The number of days you'd be able to excess 40 knots in a decade would be able to be counted on one hand. I would think a cruising speed of 18-24 knots would be more the order of the day. To have a 305 with that much top end would mean a cruising rev range of around 2000-2500rpm, and that engine at those revs would NOT be a happy camper....

'Nough said.

Chris.....

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I have found the problems to my smoking issue and am going to go ahead and hop up the 5.0 motor that i got. There are a few things that i would really like to know. i hae an alpha 1 outdrive with 220 hours on it and i would like to know if it will hold up if i build my motor to have between 500-600 hp? Also my boat is a 1999 searay 215 express cruiser and will that hp make my boat be alot faster and more quicker? thanks in advance

What did you find?

oldjeep

Admiral

I'm curious to hear how you are going to get 500-600HP out of a 305

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I'm curious to hear how you are going to get 500-600HP out of a 305

Lots of cam, lots of carbie, maybe a turbo charger, and lot of luck. :D:D:D (not sure just how well a 2 bolt main will cope though :facepalm:)

Oldjeep... please tell me that's you in your avatar!!!!

oldjeep

Admiral

Lots of cam, lots of carbie, maybe a turbo charger, and lot of luck. :D:D:D (not sure just how well a 2 bolt main will cope though :facepalm:)

Oldjeep... please tell me that's you in your avatar!!!!

Well, good luck with that :)

Yup - Nastar Nationals in March, only decent turn I made all weekend ;)

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Remember...as a general rule it takes four times the power to double the speed. Don't expect miracles, longevity, or reliability from that expirament either. It's one thing to break down at the side of the road, quite another in the middle of a body of water.

my boat runs 45-48 now..i have a 19 pitch aluminum prop and havent done anything to this boat except rebuild the carb..that is all trimmed out and in smooth water..this is my fourth boat so i am not exagerating..i guess i was wanting this boat to do 60-65 mph but that dont loook like the case with the outdrive

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

and so.....what was the problem?

thumpar

Admiral

The 305 was kind of a "turd" motor. If you want to do anything switch to a little bit modded 350 or 383 stroker and live with it or just sell the boat and get what you want.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... there's No Way a 305 is gonna build that kinda horsepower, at usable rpms, in a boat,...

just Ain't gonna happen....

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

my boat runs 45-48 now..i have a 19 pitch aluminum prop and havent done anything to this boat except rebuild the carb..that is all trimmed out and in smooth water..this is my fourth boat so i am not exagerating..i guess i was wanting this boat to do 60-65 mph but that dont loook like the case with the outdrive

You would need 83% more HP to go from 48 to 65. If you have a 220 HP 5.0, that would mean you'd need just over 400 HP to hit 65.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

With a 305... a blower is the only way you will make that kind of power at any usable rpm in your boat.
A 350 block would be a much better start and as stated 383 stokers make good boat engines. A healthy Alpha 1 gen 2 drive is fine behind 400ish hp small blocks. 500 or 600 HP would be pushing it but i have seen some. How long it lasts would depend on how you treated it.

If you are really serious about building an engine, selling yours as a running Mercruiser Marine long block would get you the most working capital. Someone who needs a freeze cracked engine replaced perhaps.