Will a Damaged Prop Hurt Drive or Engine

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK I have a 2007 Larson 208 LXi with a Mercruiser 5.0 MPI and Alpha drive. I managed to hit something and now have a prop with some damage. It is a 3 blade prop and the damage is 2 missing pieces that are about 1" long and .25 to .50" deep. I get a little vibration at low speed but nothing that would worry me if I did not know about the damage.

My question is will this cause any damage to the drive and/or engine if I use the boat for the next 2 weekends? My boating season will becoming to an end after this timeframe and I will be winterizing. I would like to take it out a couple of more times if I can. I plan on staying at 3,000 RPM or less IF I take it out.

So, will I be OK or should I pack it up for the year? I will be replacing the damaged 3 blade AL prop with a SS (possibly 4 blade) one over the winter but the budget does not allow for this right now.

Thanks!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Will a Damaged Prop Hurt Drive or Engine

It won't hurt the engine, the prop shaft seal maybe.....
I would not run it if it now has discernable vibration, imho......;)

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

It won't hurt the engine, the prop shaft seal maybe.....
I would not run it if it now has discernable vibration, imho......;)

Thanks for the quick reply. Guess I will bring it home and install the smart tabs I bought a while ago and search for a new prop. Oh yeah, I will have to buy a cover since it will be stored in my back yard.

Any other opinions before I seal the deal?

TilliamWe

Banned

A prop damaged enough to cause a vibration is not a good thing. Haut is right on the money, the propshaft seal would be the first thing to go. Why not get the 3 blade aluminum repaired?

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

At least get the 3 blade Al fixed and keep it on board as a back up....I have 2 props on both of my boats...You never know when it wants to spin the hub.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

At least get the 3 blade Al fixed and keep it on board as a back up....I have 2 props on both of my boats...You never know when it wants to spin the hub.

That is what I am planning. Looks like I have until April to get it taken care of.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I get a little vibration

..and it will tear the L/U apart in time..get the prop fixed ..NOW..any boat shop...drop it off..