will a '69 jet pump fit a '73 short shaft.

jgouras

Cadet
ok the pump unit is off a 18 hp 1969 and the prop unit is a 1973 short shaft. let me know if you need anymore info.

marsingbob

Recruit
Re: will a '69 jet pump fit a '73 short shaft.

Are the engines both short shafts? On the Jet pumps the only difference between short and long shafts is the length of the drive shaft, and a GOOD shop can cut and weld the shaft to change the length.

Outboard Jets makes all pumps and no longer lists the old low horsepower engines. They have a web site and might tell you if you call. I had a 20 Johnson with a pump years ago and I think I remember that there was a good range of years that would interchange.

As I remember the 30 horsepower and up Johnsons use a different pump housing and will not interchange. Not sure about the 25hp engines.

Another issue is the impellor size. The 18 hp uses the smallest impellor and I doubt they are still made. If the impellor or housing wears too much the unit is very hard and expensive to properly rebuild.

You lose 40-50 % of the power with a pump and the small engines will need a very light boat--about what you would normally put a 10hp on.

jgouras

Cadet

well it fits. thanks for the reply. speed went from 27mph down to 17 barely on plane.

marsingbob

Recruit

Did you check the clearance on the impellor? There are washers at the top and bottom than can be moved to lower the impellor as it and the housing wear. also you can sharpen the blades on the impelllor if they are badly beat up and it will help. Copy the profile on a new impellor.

Your series of pumps were never very satisfactory--I am not surprised that your performance dropped a lot.