Why not use Aluminum anodes?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Interesting article. Thank you. I do note that the 'aluminum' anodes are actual an alloy of a few different materials. But unfair calling them aluminium. 😉

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Interesting article. Thank you. I do note that the 'aluminum' anodes are actual an alloy of a few different materials. But unfair calling them aluminium. 😉

That was the point I was trying to make earlier with Scott.
Aluminum in its commerical form is not ?“aluminum”?.

Pure aluminum (commerical) is a soft material with little structural integrity. Most, if not aluminum in commerical use is alloyed with other elements to produce an aluminum alloy with particular mechanical properties.

A 3003 aluminum alloy (can stock) has much different mechanical and electrical properties than 7078 aluminum (aero space).

Having spent my entire career in the metallurgy, (steel, aluminum and metallic coated products) I cringe at most discussions related to the properties of metals. Too many assumptions and misinformation desiminated (with good intent) by those with limited knowledge of the subject.

Things are not always as it seems when it comes to alloying and the influence of downstream processes on the materials properties.

So...is your outdrive aluminum or an aluminum alloy? Is it more or less noble than ?aluminum??.....lol

Last edited: