Why is starting on muffs and starting in water different?

Deep_Blue

Seaman
I’ve got an 84 90hp inline, when I'm at home working on my engine I start the thing with muffs and it starts right up every time. when I’m in the water it take almost 10 min to initial start, and if I kill the engine after running it take 2-3 min of cranking to bring it back to life. What is so different?

My only guess is that the impeller has more water to pump and the exhaust has to push a little water. But the starter has no problem cranking it over so what’s up?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Why is starting on muffs and starting in water different?

It's the exhaust back pressure...ever try to start a car with the tailpipe under water?

Be aware that cranking for more than 30 seconds at a time with a minute or two between tries will shorten the life of your starter motor.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Look at the angle of the motor when you are at the lake. The motor wants to be ALL the way down so the gas naturally flows into the motor. Trust me. I was just told this by Clams and he is the inline expert. The inlines are cold hearted and you really can not flood them while starting.

So next time you are at the ramp look at the angle of your carbs. I used to keep my motor tilted up in the shallows and try to start it. Now I trim it ALL the way down - start - and then trim it up at an idle.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

jtexas nailed it; none on muffs, max on the water. And on tilt, I always level my engine before trying to start it initially.

Mark