Why is my truck eating ball joints

puddle jumper

Captain
Re: Why is my truck eating ball joints

I agee with you guys 100% on the ball joint play. Minor play is fine right up to the point you go for a wheel alinment and they say no becouse of the play.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Aftermarket replacements while fine to start with will wear a lot faster as they are usually made of a sub standard material and not heat treated or case hardened.

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

First off, what year is this ranger? Does it have the newer IFS or is it an older one that has the Twin Beam?

If its twin beam,,,GOOD LUCK getting your tires to ware good!

Swaybars have nothing to do with alignment or tire ware.

Your truck does not have 'struts' It has shocks and springs (either coil springs or torsion bars) Coils are on the twin beam suspensions, torsion bars on the IFS.

Shocks have nothing to do with ball jonits or tire ware. however the springs do. If they are worn out (high mileage) or adjusted (torsion bars) then the suspension angle is off, adding stress to the ball joints. (again, need to know what kind of suspension you have)

Is your truck stock? Does it have offset rims, larger wheels/tires, been lifted? If it has, you are adding stress on suspension parts and will eat ball joints fast.

Need more info.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

if caster and camber are right and they used guality ball joints it should not eat them

Steves69ss

Cadet

Wow...Im a Ford Master Tech....we dont see a lot of repeat repairs on ball joints on Rangers regardless of the year ....We dont even see alot of worn out ball joints in Rangers...some replacement parts are cheap there is no dought....always make sure and price the oem parts !!! sounds like its time for another mechanic to take a look at your truck....descibe the type of wear you are having....cupping could be caused by worn shocks, alot of driving on dry pavement in 4x4...outside or inside edge wear may be caused by camber..as stated a sway bar will not cause your tires to wear...oh and Ill install a new belt for $80...lol

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree, thats why I asked in my last post if its been lifted or has offset rims/large tires. However the OP seems to be on the lamb. :confused: