Why Bass?

michaelsen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This might be a stupid question, but being from Denmark and now living in Florida, I realize I have a lot to learn. I thought the language would be the biggest problem, but no.....<br />Ok, why is Bass fishing so popular? Is it a good fish for food? Is it fun to catch? Or maybe easy to catch?<br />There must be something special since it can give the name to a certain kind of boats and every other TV fishing show is about bass fishing.<br /><br />Regards<br />Michael<br />www.mitechtrading.com

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Why Bass?

Bass, fresh water or, salt water are a fun fish to catch as well as eat. They are a fighter, and when cooked right are great tasting.

bKelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MikeMike, Bass are probably the #1 sport fish in America. They are not the easiest fish to catch, but they are wide spread throughout the Continental U.S. They can be a fun fish to catch; they are good fighters, especially the small mouth and the spotted bass. I fish for bass for the shear enjoyment of fishing. It is a way to get away from everything and enjoy time outdoors. If I am fishing for food or with my wife, I prefer catfish, big bream, and crappie. <br /><br />In the recent years, tournament bass fishing has become a major sport. It is bringing corporate sponsorships for anglers and boats that look like Nascars. B.A.S.S. and the FLW tours are paying thousands of dollars for tournaments. Ford even sponsors a big bass tournament here in Arkansas for non-pro bass anglers that pay $100,000.00 for first place. :eek: It is a very competitive sport that does not require you to be athletic to compete.

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

Dear MikeMike,<br /><br />Bass fishing is something that I have done since I was a kid....Heck....we all have.<br /><br />There are several kinds of bass and they are spread across the U.S.A. so unless you live in Alaska or hawian islands you can fish for them.<br /><br />There are a bunch here in FL.<br /><br />I don't know all of them or where they are distributed at but here in FL we have at least three or four kinds.<br /><br />When you are fishing a topwater plug in the morning on a lake with the mist just burning off the water, A mama moorhen shuffleing through the lotus pads, maby a racoon washing off a crawdad for breakfast or A doe drinking from the lakes edge, you just can't ask for a better place to listen and learn about nature. ;) <br /><br /> All the time your just enjoying the peace and quiet, or maby you have one of your children with you and your watching him or her see things they've never seen before. :) <br /><br />Thats worth it alone....But then....KABAMMMM....a bass has just taken the lure with no mercy. White water splashes everywhere and all that is left in the spot where you just saw the lure is a swirl of water and bubbles....Oh yea....I almost forgot....There goes your line zipping through the water. :eek: <br /><br />Now might be a good time to grab your butt handles (ears) and pull your head out of your a$$ before you loose a dandy fish. :eek: <br /><br />The first part of the story was bass fishing, the last part was bass catching....Its up to you if it ends on a happy note. :cool: <br /><br />Give the bass fishing part a try and If you like it go in for the bass catching part....then you'll be Hooked (pun intended).<br /><br />Derwood. ;) <br /><br />P.S. Yes they taste good and no, its not always easy to catch them.

Fishbusters

Ensign

The reason bass became #1 is two fold. Part one is the fact that they will hit artificial lures with great regualarity. While by no means always easy I know fishermen that can outfish live bait using artificials at a rat of 2 or 3 to 1. Part two is when looking for a fish to promote fishing for fun rather than food the bass was choosen. The reason it was bass rather than other species is simple. Bass were already wide spread, fun to catch and actually don't taste as good as a mess of bream, catfish or crappie which are also widespread. Before Forrest Wood came along Bass were actually not that popular a fish as other species. The start of Bass's promotion to #1 was when the average fisherman started fishing for fun rather than as a food source because it was no longer necessary to do so. <br />Personally I find fishing properly for any species can be more fun than bass fishing. I use proper tackle matched to the type of fishing I am doing using 2# line when bream fishing for shear fun and no more than 25# when catfishing even if I hope to take some 50# monsters. As my signature says I will fish anywhere and for anything as do many other true ShaoFin Anglers.

D

DJ

Derwood,<br /><br />Well said.<br /><br />Sir Poetwood!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

Bass are my favorite because pound for pound they<br />are the strongest fighters out there. not many <br />fish will jump 2 feet in the air when hooked.<br />a little harder to land because of this.<br />hard to keep a tight line when they hit a lure<br />in 10ft of water, then run for the top as fast as <br />they can. nothing like a fat largemouth sticking<br />it's head out of the water and furiuosly shaking<br />your lure loose.<br />now that's fishing!<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

gonfishn

Commander

Like you MikeMike I'm just now getting into The Bass Thing. There is alot of learning that goes with these Elusive Fish.<br /><br />I now Am catching em on purpose now and its becoming more fun as time goes on. Up North where I Fish the Bigger the Better. Once you get into Bass you tend to get Hooked.

ebbtide176

Commander

everything before this is are good stories, and true. all i can add is that the largemouth bass are ruthless, fight like h$ll and try to spit the lure out as much as possible. they are also finicky many times, and they are not dumb. <br /><br />they are so aggressive that they are available to everyone who wants to be involved in learning how to get a hard won battle in freshwater . i grew up catching bream in a farm pond, kinda a no-brainer, other than the art of finding earthworms and threading them on a hook. then putting a larger wad of worms or chicken liver on a hook, and being patient until a catfish found it. and catfish get huge, fight well also, but tend to strive for the bottom, and don't go airborne as so many bass do.<br /><br />but the strange thing about bass is, they will avoid obvious baits, but strike right at your feet if the lure appears to be a natural insect or tiny fish. <br />they are the biggest, baddest species of the small waters, to me. and because they have such a big mouth and appetite, they get big and muscular fast, and are very fun to catch<br />>just my opinion.