Why am I getting tongue bonce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Why am I getting tongue bonce?

No that has been the recommended figure for tongue weight since before I was born. MY trailer is not in any way relevant to the O/P's problem and neither is yours.
This is not a theory of tongue weight thread but rather it is about solving a problem... Let's give the O/P a chance to respond with more info and go from there.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The last time I checked, the GM website indicated 10% tongue weight in their trailering info.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No that has been the recommended figure for tongue weight since before I was born. MY trailer is not in any way relevant to the O/P's problem and neither is yours.
This is not a theory of tongue weight thread but rather it is about solving a problem... Let's give the O/P a chance to respond with more info and go from there.

I will respectfully disagree with you. :D Sorry but i will take a boat trailer companies advice over yours.
To the o/p here is the web site of a boat trailer company.... they say 5-7 %

Respectfully, Joe

http://www.shorelandr.com/pages/pf_trstep3.htm

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Could just be that the axle(s) is/are too far forward in the first place. Tounge weight can be right but it will still see-saw on you when you hit a bump. My Monark did that when I put the V-6 on it. Trailer was a 16-18 and the boat was an 18. The trailer should have been a 18-20 but I moved the axle back and that cured it. Moving the boat back and forth by changing the bow stop didn't help it just messed up the tounge weight.

Edit.. fyi - my fix was not the correct one it was merely a band aid. I should have bought another trailer but I'll let the new owner worry/wonder about that.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I will agree that the proper tongue weight will be good in an emergency stop.
Not really a stopping issue but a stability to keep the trailer from getting into an uncontrollable sway condition.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Posted from uhaul's website
Tongue weight
The downward force exerted on the hitch ball by the trailer coupler. In most cases, it is about 10 to 15 percent of the GTW. To tow safely, the tongue weight must be sufficiently positive when the trailer is empty and/or when fully loaded. Check the height of the tow vehicle's bumper before and after loading. If the loaded trailer doesn't drop the height of the bumper by at least another inch, then reposition your load with more weight in the front of the trailer. Check out how to determine GTW & TW capacities.

copied from hitchingup.com
tongue weight
Tongue weight is the downward force exerted on the hitch ball by the trailer coupler with weight-distributing devices, if any, deactivated.

Tongue weight should be approximately 10% to 15% of the total weight of the trailer.Generally, more is better, but much more than 15% may actually increase the likelihood of sway, especially if the tongue weight approaches or exceeds the tongue weight rating of the tow vehicle. Note that this applies to pop-ups, travel trailers, and utility trailers. Fifth wheels often run at 25-30% tongue weight (because the tow vehicle can take it), and tractor-trailers average near 50% tongue weight.

copied from etrailer.com
Trailer Loading
The way you load the trailer can determine how easy you can tow it. While loading, keep in mind that the tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of the overall trailer weight. One of the main causes of trailer sway is not having a large enough percentage of trailer tongue weight compared to gross trailer weight. To help prevent the trailer from swaying back and forth, a few things can be done. Try placing heavier cargo in the front of the trailer, ahead of the trailer's axle. Also center the cargo left-to-right and use tie-downs to keep the load from sliding.

Trailer Sway can also lead to a loss of vehicle control. When starting out with a new load on a trailer, make sure it will not sway by gradually increasing your speed in intervals until highway speed is reached. If the trailer does begin to sway, try adjusting the cargo and equipment accordingly and then repeat the test. If repositioning the load and equipment did not help reduce the sway, a sway control or a weight distribution system with sway control may be needed.

Also look at this chart on curt's website... shows 10% tongue weight or this calculator on changingears.com

Here is an excellent writeup on sherline .com

Now can we get back to helping the O/P or as I said before START YOUR OWN THREAD if you must continue.... this is not fair to the O/P?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Bruce maybe you missed the other part of what i said ..........NO SWAY.... none what so ever.
I didn't missit at all. I was talking about emergency situations. My mom was driving a truck and trailer and got into an uncontrollable oscillation that had her going for # 1 lane to #4 lane on a 4 lane highway once. All the 10 years of towing before this was perfect with no sway. Until you get into that situation, you have no idea what the trailer would do.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, gents. Bad tempers and rude language close threads around here. That's what happened to this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.