who shrink wraps their boat?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: who shrink wraps their boat?

We have a boat dealer near here in N.C. that does the shrink wrapping, but I wonder if it's such a great idea since the plastic wrap doesn't breath at all, looks like moisture and mildew might be a problem. I use one of those temporary shelters that they sell at Harbor Freight Tools for $140, set my boat under that and it really keeps the rain and strong sunlight(UV rays) off the boat. Also, if I need to work on the boat during the off-season, I can get right in there and do it. Good Luck!

Summer Fun

Banned

I pay the marina to do it @ $11 per foot. Then i know its done right. :). Me and tools don't play well with each other.
1.gif

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

$11 per foot???:eek:

I could only wish it was that cheap up here in Canuckland. It's usually around $20-21/foot up here.

Don't really have a choice though so I'll be shrink wrapping.

Summer Fun

Banned

Yes, I'm at a small family owned marina on Oneida Lake NY. .:). My slip is $950 per season with 3 free haul outs if needed plus free pumping of the pooper. :D

mariob

Seaman Apprentice

anyone here done it themselves before, or know where they sell the shrinkwrap?

I'm sure it can't be that hard to do. from what I've been reading , guys just mention that they use mothballs to keep out critters and one guy mentioned using dissicant to prevent moisture.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

These guys seem to have all the stuff including instructions on how to do it.

www dot shrink-wrap-film dot com

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The only time shrink wrap has been on my boat was when it was delivered from the factory.
That being said, I obviously do not know about the stuff. But I do know a bad idea when I hear it. If I were to have my boat wrapped, and I am a DIY guy, I would want to SEE it done the first year, ask questions, and then maybe consider doing it myself the following years. It seems a bit too important a thing to get wrong and I would not want to have to deal with the mess and ensuing problems from a boat full of snow and ice.
Just my opinion.:rolleyes:

mariob

Seaman Apprentice

The only time shrink wrap has been on my boat was when it was delivered from the factory.
That being said, I obviously do not know about the stuff. But I do know a bad idea when I hear it. If I were to have my boat wrapped, and I am a DIY guy, I would want to SEE it done the first year, ask questions, and then maybe consider doing it myself the following years. It seems a bit too important a thing to get wrong and I would not want to have to deal with the mess and ensuing problems from a boat full of snow and ice.
Just my opinion.:rolleyes:

why do you think its a bad idea?

I was just up there today and was watching the guys wrap a boat. doesn't look like rocket science to me.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I've always wondered how they shrink wrap as I've never seen it done. How do they do it?

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

its amazing to me how boating and the boating community constantly pushes "going green" with environmentally safe this and biodegradable that, yet folks will spend HUNDREDS of dollars a year on throw away PLASTIC. :confused: i spent $500 to have a beautiful new sunbrella cockpit cover made for the summer. i use my old cover and a home depot blue tarp with some framing for winter.

Attachments

• 1121091324.jpg
    1121091324.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

its amazing to me how boating and the boating community constantly pushes "going green" with environmentally safe this and biodegradable that, yet folks will spend HUNDREDS of dollars a year on throw away PLASTIC. :confused: i spent $500 to have a beautiful new sunbrella cockpit cover made for the summer. i use my old cover and a home depot blue tarp with some framing for winter.

Ayuh,.... I went 1 step Greener than That....
I bought an old Flex-face Billboard,...20'x 30'...Under $100....
It's tough, durable,+ UV stabilized...Way heavier than a blue tarp, more like a polyester canvas...
I could have used it Black side out, but I decided to advertize for some Saturn dealer in northern Indiana....
I s'pose I otta take,+ post a picture of it,... I'll have to get 1 up...

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

I could have used it Black side out, but I decided to advertize for some Saturn dealer in northern Indiana....
I s'pose I otta take,+ post a picture of it,... I'll have to get 1 up...

oh i gotta see that! my neighbors would love that. friggin drunk wife, yellin incoherently with never home husband on one side and what i like to call "the rednecks" on the other side with there sons car parts EVERYWHERE. both had the nerve to ask me "are ya gonna keep your boat there? nah lady, i though maybe it store it in your FAT *** for the winter! frickin idiots...

Bondo

Staff member

oh i gotta see that!

Ayuh,....
100_4555.jpg

Saturn of Northeast Indiana it says..

Gotta figure out a Better folding method at the bow...:rolleyes:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Not us.
Old tonneau cover and wrapped in a huge tarp.

backyardhockey2

Seaman Apprentice

I'm going to keep my eye on that "Gentlemens Club" billboard. Would look great in my backyard!

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Down here in Pensacola those vinyl billboards go for free if you catch a crew changing them out. They will let it drop to the ground and let you haul it away.
I am holding out for one for Hooters.

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Excellent "Green" suggestions. This post was bugging me as I drove this last week looking at all the shrink wrapped boats along side the interstate.

Honestly I couldn't help but think what a stupid wasteful idea. So people 'feel' better having their boat all snuggley and wrapped, but what about all that plastic!! Arg...ignorance! There are so many better ways to protect a boat than a one time wrap like this.

I hope this fad blows over soon.