Who knows about selenium plate rectifiers?

Grumpy Bear

Seaman
1974 Merc 500 50hp. At some point, I took apart my rectifier (which, as it turns out, is a selenium plate rectifier). I'm not sure I reassembled it correctly -- lots of washers and spacers, etc. Now my motor runs very rough at idle and bogs at throttle up. Timing, carbs, compression all good, though spark tests haven't produced a blue/white spark at more than 1/4". Could this be from my rectifier being screwed up?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I do. You don't take them apart.

I don't know if a '74 is battery powered ignition or not. So I can't say if the rectifier is causing the problem.

Grumpy Bear

Seaman
I do. You don't take them apart.

I don't know if a '74 is battery powered ignition or not. So I can't say if the rectifier is causing the problem.

It's an ignition driver distributor (lightning energizer). As an interesting development: One of the things the CDI Troubleshooting Guide said to do is disconnect the two yellow stator wires from the rectifier, insulate them, and restart the motor. If the motor runs well and no longer rough, it's the rectifier that's likely the problem. So I did so. The upshot? When I disconnected those stator wires from the rectifier (and kept the rectifier bolted to the cage), there was no longer any spark at all. I have no idea what that means in light of the troubleshooting guide!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Check all your grounds and make sure ground from coil is attached to box and make sure you don't have 12v on red on box.

emckelvy

Commander
The Lightning Energizer system is completely independent of the stator, there are no interconnections between. Now, on the ADI systems, the low and hi speed stator windings live in the stator alongside the alternator windings. So, it's possible to have some effect on a malfunctioning ADI system when disconnecting the rectifier.

I see no possibility of affecting a Lightning Energizer ignition system by disconnecting the rectifier. Be sure to disconnect the "mercury" switch (actually full of the metal mercury) when checking for spark.

Disconnect the ignition kill wire from the switchbox when testing for spark; this eliminates a bad ignition switch.

Disconnect the distributor wires from the switchbox and take resistance readings of the high and low speed coils.

Note that the most common cause of a dead L.E. system is a bad switchbox, but I suppose it'd do to check the ign coil for problems before condemning the switchbox. If you have a DVA adapter you can check voltages in the system with your VOM.

Here's a cheap adapter: http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usatoolwarehouse/ESI-640.html

Last thought, it's also possible for the distributor rotor to fail,and you may need to remove the distributor, ground the casing, and spin the distributor shaft CW (as viewed from the top), to see if you get spark to ground off the rotor shaft (you'll have to pull the dist cap and remove the rotor for access to the shaft).

HTH & let us know what you find...........ed