white powder

procraftmark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I uncovered the boat after its winter nap and noticed some white powder on the engine mount bolts where it goes thru the splashwell , almost looks like the stuff that gets on battery posts. Anybody got an idea what this is?<br /><br /><br />thnx<br />mark

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer
Re: white powder

They call that corrosion....<br /><br />Definition: 1: a state of deterioration in metals caused by oxidation or chemical action

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

clean it off real well and spray with WD 40.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

if anybody asks, tell 'em it's not yours - you're "just holding it for a friend"<br /><br />...sorry, just couldn't resist... ;)

procraftmark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

why would i have corrosion on the engine mount bolts?<br /><br /><br />mark

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Probably just a simple minor galvanic reaction between the bolts and the surounding metal.<br /> Could also be a case of the bolts sweating in a change of temperature and some minor corrosion<br />result.You have probably stainless bolts and aluminum boat and aluminum(alloy) engine mount<br />there will be a little reaction between them.<br /> If you are worried about corrosion pull the bolts and take a look at bolts and surrounding<br /> area.I doubt there will be anything to worry about.

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

Hey, Dave just so I'll know. <br /> How fast do you have to run, to get away from anthrax ? ? LOL !!<br /> <br /> KYHunter