Which water separating fuel filter?

extremez

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Which kit will work for my 07 Merc 3.0?

The only thing I can tell you is I have 3/8" ID fuel line.

The one I've been looking at like the Sierra is for engines 200+hp. The 10 micron is better also right?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Which water separating fuel filter?

Any of them that comes with the 3/8 hose fittings and yes 10 micron is what you want.

whitefish1

Cadet

Just installed a RACOR 320R-RAC-02 on my 3.0l. Happy with it so far.

extremez

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok, so just to make sure i'm looking at this right.

the above RACOR uses 1/4" threaded fittings into the bracket, but i would need the 3/8" hose barb fittings.

so it really doesn't matter which kit i buy as long as i make sure i have the 3/8" hose fittings. plus it has to be metal because i have an i/o.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

they have adapters to go from 1/4" NPT to the SAE inverted flare fittings used on fuel and brake lines.

emoney

Commander

You're dead-on in the "if it fits it works" arena. I would say that I much preferred the one with the "glass bottom" that allows you to drain the water. Otherwise, you're changing it based on "time" and you don't truly know how much water was in your fuel to begin with. With the "drain-type" it helps to avoid certain stations that are worse, etc. etc.

robert graham

Admiral

You're dead-on in the "if it fits it works" arena. I would say that I much preferred the one with the "glass bottom" that allows you to drain the water. Otherwise, you're changing it based on "time" and you don't truly know how much water was in your fuel to begin with. With the "drain-type" it helps to avoid certain stations that are worse, etc. etc.
I don't think the clear plastic bowls are approved for inboards by the Coast Guard for fire reasons. Walmart/Attwood fuel/water seperater($27) is a good basic all metal unit. Of course Racor wrote the book on filtration, but will cost more money$$ Good Luck!

extremez

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks everyone for the help.

I picked up a Sierra filter kit today at one of the local auto/marine stores. They didn't have a 10 micron on the shelf but I bought this one to get me started. It's a 21 micron. I'll order a 10 micron for next season.

Got it installed and took out the boat. Finally got some fresh fuel in it and it seems to be running well again. Still a little concerned with an inconsistent idle but my bogging issue from other my posts has gone away the last 2 times out(knock on wood).