Which Thermostat Housing for my Mercruiser 4.3V6 Vortec?

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an 89 Sea Ray 180BR which I refurbished last year. The original 4.3 V6 in it was kapput, so I picked up a Mercruiser 'bobtail' engine ) 4.3LX Gen 11 with a 4 barrel carb, that came out of a 96 Baja boat. The sterndrive on my Sea Ray is an Alpha One (the original). We totally refurbished the gimble and my boat guy checked over and replaced anything not right on the sterndrive. The boat runs fine, but I noticed the temp gauge wasn't working. Have checked the gauge and wiring and they are fine, but the temp sender looked worn out, so have replaced it with a new Mercruiser sender unit. I haven't had chance to check it out on the water yet. When I was removing the old sender, I removed one of the hoses to give me more wiggle room and noticed that some rusty corrosion on the pipe ends. Not maga amounts, but either it needs removing and a good clean or it needs replacing. This is where I'm seeking input.

I checked out Ebay, etc for thermostat housings and there appears to be 2 variations, the 860256A3 and the 860256A4. The A3 is Alpha and the A4 is Bravo. On one site (perfprotech) they say that 'because of water flow properties', the A3 housing should not be used on a 'Bravo engine' and the A4 should not be used on an 'Alpha engine'. The A3 is identified by ALPHA stamped on the housing top and the A4 has a part number stamped on the underside.
Now I know that the engine I now have had a Bravo sterndrive, but in my boat it is now powering an Alpha drive (my boat guy swapped the drive coupling to make it work).

My housing has nothing on the top, so I'm guessing I have the A4. Should I now be looking at changing this thermostat housing out for an A3? I don't want to, part with $150 to $200 for no good reason and as a newbie boater I don't want to be running the engine incorrectly. Does anyone know what these 'different water flow properties' are on the 2 housings? Outwardly they look identical.

Just to muddy the water further, I visited a site (offshoreonly.com) that has a stainless steel thermostat housing (yippee, no more corrosion)for sale for $190, which it says is a direct replacement for both A3 and A4! That appears to fly in the face of what Perprotech say.
I am worrying unnecessarily about the difference in the thermostat housing?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Which Thermostat Housing for my Mercruiser 4.3V6 Vortec?

Just to muddy the water further,

Ayuh,... I'll muddy it even More,... Neither of 'em will work for ya...

The Alpha 1, Gen.II don't have the check-balls in the t-stat housin'...

You need the T-stat housin' for the Alpha 1, With the check-balls...
Otherwise, it'll over heat at idle...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No it won't. The newer thermostat housings have an internal passage sized to do what the check balls did.

Don S

Yes, you need the A3, the Bravo housing bypasses way too much water for the size of your Alpha pump.

Bondo

Staff member

Originally Posted by Bond-o

No it won't. The newer thermostat housings have an internal passage sized to do what the check balls did.

Ayuh,.... Based on My experience with used t-stat housings,...

T-stat housings for an Alpha 1, Gen.II, causes over heatin', at idle,...
When run with the water flows of an Alpha 1....

My point is, I guess, that there Should be Another option, along with the 2 options outlined by britisher...

The options listed make No mention of the differences, between the Alpha 1, 'n the Alpha 1, Gen.II....

Don't see many "New" t-stat housings in my little world,..... ;)

Don S

To be honest, if it was my engine I would run it first (in the water, not just on muffs) and see what happens. It may run fine just the way it is.

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have run it in the water about 3 times now and it runs fine. The problem I had was that the temp gauge wasn't working. Hence my checking the gauge, the wiring and now replacing the temp sender. To be honest, had the temperature worked and been OK, I would probably not have discovered what I discovered about the thermostat housing. I can accept Dons remark about the Bravo passing way more water than the Alpha housing, but what does confuse me is the Stainless Steel housing offered by Offshoreonly which replaces both the A3 and A4 unit. I may give Offshore a call and find out how heir unit replaces 2 different housings. Thanks guys.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I seem to be having this problem. There is a chance that I have the Bravo housing, which sounds like it may allow too much water for the size of my Alpha pump. The starboard side riser is running much hotter than the port side.

Thanks for posting this info.

Last edited: