Which sealant for splashwell seams on '87 18' SuperSport?

olympic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Which sealant for splashwell seams on '87 18' SuperSport?

I got the back panel opened up on the starboard side to get a peak at what things look like. Not the best lighting - at lower right in the one pic it looks dark in pic but not nearly so in person. I also tried to take a pic of the knee brace which looks solid. Again some wood discoloration. I am planning to put a kicker motor bracket on the back so when I drill those holes I'll check the actual wood condition.
photo 1.JPG photo(5).JPG

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.

Looks pretty solid, poke at the discolored areas with a screwdriver or awl, look for softness.

dozerII

Admiral

She all looks original in there and no cracking in the knee brace bolt flanges. You may have lucked out and got a Starcraft that has been kept dry for most of her life.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

If you end up doing it, the good news; transoms on these things are actually pretty darn easy.

Not knowing what your doing, taking your time, and going a bit overkill (like so many of us like to do :) ) 2-3 weekend project max.

After doing 3, I think I could replace one in two weekends easy... :D

I'll summarize the steps... :watermelon:

First weekend, removal, template from old, cut the wood, epoxy the boards together, test fit and make adjustments, pre drill all bolt holes using orig locations, epoxy coat everything, repeat through the first weekend as needed.

Second weekend, another coat of epoxy or paint Friday night, Saturday assemble!
Drink beer and admire your skills
Sunday, mount engine.
Drink beer, and pat your self on the back!

Hardest part: removal, and if it's dry they usually slide out easy, the upper side bolts can be a pain if the splashwell is still in tho.

Also feel free to move the beer drinking time to what best works for you. ;)

Last edited:

olympic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all for the feedback and Gibbles for the transom r&r steps. When I drill the transom for the kicker bracket holes that will be my determinant for whether I do it this year or not. I'm really hoping to get a season out of it first. I'll post picks after I drill the holes...may be a bit as I don't have the bracket in hand yet.

barato2

Commander

Oly--

bienvenidos to the craziness!

the wood that high will tell you nothing about transom condition.....where you find the worst rot usually is near the bottom of the wood and under the corner caps. fact that it's a newish boat (by the standards around here :facepalm: ) is good, but i generally work on the principle that if you think you might possibly need to do the trans, you do. if you do take it out, stay near the launch until you're sure you have no transom flex under full power. i'd definitely hold off on towing tubers til you get transom done.....