which pitch is what?

DaverDog

Cadet
Ok im new to boating and id just like to know the differance between the pitches...example 10 pitch versus 20 pitch and so on.does it have to do with speed or or what?...what do the differant pitches do for the boat?..ok thanx

DaverDog

Cadet
Re: which pitch is what?

tom i didnt find what what i was looking for but thanx for the thread anyways.I sure am having a hard time finding out how the differant pitches affect the boats performance..arghhh!!!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Think of the pitch like the rear end ratio of a car except in this case the bigger the number the taller the gear. Changing pitch is like changing the gears. Switching to higher pitch in a given prop line puts a greater load on the engine, resulting in slower acceleration and a lower final top rpm. Going with less pitch lighens the load and results in quicker acceleration and a higher top rpm. It might or might not result in a difference in top speed. I have found, if the engine remained in the recommended rpm range, changing pitches in a given line of props resulted in only minimal, if any differences in top speed. Changes from one line of props to another can have different results in final speeds, handling and acceleration

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

In a perfect world, a prop with 10 inches of pitch means the prop will push the boat forward 10 inches with each full revolution. A prop with 20 inches of pitch means the prop would push forward 20 inches. A prop with high pitch (say 20) would provide a faster top speed (roughly double) of a prop with 10 inches of pitch. Here is where it gets a little complicated. Since props work in water, not a solid, there is slippage so one can figure about 10 to 12% slippage. Ok you say -- why not stick a 40P prop on my six horse motor and blow the windshield off my buddies 115 HP motor that only runs a 21P prop. Unfortunately physics comes into play here. The weight of your boat, the load it carries, the type of hull (V-hull, flat bottom, pontoon, cruiser, etc.) and the HP of the engine all determine the prop required. An engine develops its maximum power somewhere in the 5000 - 6000 rpm range. A prop must therefore be selected that allows the engine to run in that range at wide open throttle. Your six HP motor would therefore not get you away from the dock with a 40P prop because it simply does not have enough power to spin it. Unlike a car, a boat does not have a multi-gear transmission so it starts out in high gear all the time. Therefore prop selection is a data gathering exercise. If you have a given prop to start with, you make several wide open throttle runs with a normal load and you not engine rpm and speed. If the engine tends to over rev (revs beyond the manufacturers wide open throttle rpm) you would install a prop with slightly more pitch. Each inch of pitch increase slows the engine by about 200 rpm. If the engine does not reach the recommended rpm, you would decrease pitch slightly. When the engine is running at its wide open throttle rpm, you have what you have as far as speed is concerned. It's all about hull, load, power and RPM. If you tow a lot of water toys, wake board, ski, you would benefit by lowering pitch by one number. Consider it a power prop. But that might make the engine overrev but you can throttle back. Many people have two props. One for water sports and one for cruising.

DaverDog

Cadet

Ok Silver so what yer saying (basically) is that the lower the pitch the higher rpms i would get? which i know would also depend on the load ,hull and hp and such...so i wouldnt want to go down in pitch too much as to over rev past the rpm range correct?...and thanx

DaverDog

Cadet

And also Silver...so if im waterskiing or tubing i should have a lower pitch prop on hand correct? and thanx again

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Yes -- lower pitch produces higher rpm than the same prop from the same manufacturer but with higher pitch. It's not absolutely necessary in all cases to have two props for cruising and towing water toys. It all depends on the boat, how much power it has, what the load is, the type of boat etc. Selecting a prop is a compromise between hole shot (power), and cruising (top end). The key factor is not to lug the engine. The only way you know you are or are not doing that is to monitor the tach and note wide open throttle rpm. If the engine runs in its wide open throttle (WOT) rpm band, you have the proper prop -- and whatever top speed that produces is what you get. Select that one first. Then try towing some water toys. You probably will not run wide open when towing water toys so top speed is not the target here. What is important is how easily the boat gets on plane (out of the hole) when trying to ski or tow a water toy. If it struggles with the prop you have, then drop down a number or two in pitch for a spare prop that you use for towing. If the boat seems to get you up and tows fine, you simply don't need the second prop. This really becomes an issue in what would be an underpowered boat. An underpowered boat needs all the help it can get so to ask it to also tow things is putting it way over the edge. The only solution is to loose weight or drop down in pitch.

DaverDog

Cadet

Silvertip thats just the information i was looking for thanx alot!