Which of these O/B motors is the Best Choice???

butteco

Seaman
Okay I added pictures! And a few more boats to my decision making process; but I know nothing about Outboards so please help me decide which motor/boat makes the best package here. (forget about all that jazz I originally posted about how long motors last - I know that varies on 100 different things)... <br /><br />I am currently looking at the following boats and would like opinions/suggestions as to which seems to be the best combo? <br /><br />THANKS IN ADVANCE! <br /><br />Prospective Boats:<br /><br />1.) 1973 18.5' Sidewinder w/ "650 Four" 65HP Merc. O/B. NEEDS: a new prop($200) and old gas and carb cleaned out.<br /><br />
sidewinder2.jpg
<br />
sidewinder1.jpg
<br /><br />_________________________________________________<br /><br /><br />2.) 1979 Tahiti 19' w/ Force 35hp O/B. RUNS. (and NO! the girl doesn't come with the boat.)<br />
Tahiti.jpg
<br />_________________________________________________<br /><br /><br /> <br />3.) 1970' Carlson 17' Mod. Tunnel w/ 68' 100HP Merc. O/B. Motor has been taken care of and has good compression. Boat is clean and RUNS.<br /><br />_________________________________________________<br /><br /><br />Of these 3 what looks like it would be the best combo and why? <br /><br />Again I am simply looking for something cheap to cruise around in this summer (and maybe ski or tube if the motor permits it) and then eventually use as a ski boat when I can afford a 80's/90's 125+HP outboard... <br /><br />Thanks again!

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Which of these O/B motors is the Best Choice???

eeek a force need i say more but girl looks nice<br />buy boat take girl for test drive and dump force

Laddies

Banned

Mercury wins hands down, but the lady with the Force looks great---Bob

Paul Moir

Admiral

Props can be had on Ebay sometimes pretty cheap. The Sidewinder looks too cool to pass up. ;) <br />$50 for a manual + $40 for a couple carb kits.<br />Check spark, compression and lower unit lube before laying your money down.<br /><br />EDIT: Didn't see #3 was still an option. If you can deal with the fuel consumption, it's still the best.

JRJ

Commander

On the Tahiti, I think the girl would be OE, but not that motor :D If you can't have EVERYTHING, then buy the hull you like. A repower is not that big a deal, its only money :cool:

Scali

Petty Officer 1st Class

who puts a 35 Force on a 19' Tahiti ?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

duplicate post?????????????????

phatmanmike

Captain

no force. <br /><br />run, forest, ruin....away from the force

butteco

Seaman

Okay first I want to say sorry for the duplicate post! I posted it in the wrong section! <br /><br />"who puts a 35 Force on a 19' Tahiti ? "<br /><br />I was thinking this same thing. The original motor probably died and then he found that cheapo Force to put on it? <br /><br />Okay so I will Scratch THE TAHITI/FORCE!<br /><br />OKAY SO BETWEEN THE SIDEWINDER(65HP(650Four) Merc.) AND CARLSON(100HP Merc.)<br /><br />The sidewinder is a pretty cool hull but it is just a 4CYL 65HP - although it is a 1978 or newer motor. The prop hit a sunken bouy and damaged 2 out of 3 blades and the guy kept driving it until "the vibration drove him nuts". Do you think that could have damaged the lower unit? Oil checks out with no metal in it... <br /><br />The Carlson Mod. Tunnel has a 60's 6cyl but has been well taken care of. I just hate the color of the hull (maroon and pearl)... And I don't know about a motor that is 35+ years old?<br /><br /><br />What do you guys think?