Which New Vehicle

bhammer

Ensign
All, the lease is expiring on the wifes Chrysler Aspen and we are looking at new vehicles for a lease replacement. This is also our primary tow vehicle for our 5K boat. She has been real happy with the Aspen but would like a little more space behind the 3rd row. It's tough to get much of anything there when we head camping or to the lake.

We are looking at 2X4 models:
Expedition
Suburban
Yukon

All of these would be loaded with all the goodies she likes and be the extended length version if they offer it. The Yukon would be the 3/4 ton. I'd love to hear input. I hope this isn't like an oil thread....

Incorrigible

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Which New Vehicle

I'm looking at updating my tow vehicle as well. I've been using a 1500 Suburban without fear and love it. Does everything you ask of it an more. Curious why you'd be looking at the 2500 Yukon? Doesn't sound like you need anywhere near that much vehicle. Either way, I've been towing over 100,000 miles on my Suburban and it looks and runs like new. I have replaced both front wheel bearings, but shy of that it hasn't given me any problems. (oil, brakes, and tires are about it)

solmate

Seaman Apprentice

If you aren't dead set on a GM product, try a Nissan Armada. My wifes Armada tows our boat better than my 2011 3/4 chevy. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Have you looked into a toyota sequoia? I have a 4runner which is the smaller model, but it's also a v8 4x4 and I honestly barely notice a difference towing and still get 17 MPGs. I'm assuming the sequoia would perform similarly and also fit your needs for a bigger truck

Just my 2 cents!

Lindeman23

Seaman

Have you looked into a toyota sequoia? I have a 4runner which is the smaller model, but it's also a v8 4x4 and I honestly barely notice a difference towing and still get 17 MPGs. I'm assuming the sequoia would perform similarly and also fit your needs for a bigger truck

Just my 2 cents!

x2... The new Sequoias are really nice and offer a little more HP than that Sub/Yukon/Exp. That and its a Toyota.... I'm a little biased I know, I've had a lot of Toyota's and loved them all.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

x2... The new Sequoias are really nice and offer a little more HP than that Sub/Yukon/Exp. That and its a Toyota.... I'm a little biased I know, I've had a lot of Toyota's and loved them all.

Yeah! Toyota all the way :D

I don't want to start a contest about what are the best cars... but just another testament to toyotas longevity and versaility -- between me and my dad we've had 13 4runners all of which have exceeded 200,000 miles. My last one (an 02' I currently have an 03) towed frequently and went to 350,000 miles and would have kept going had some moron not rear ended me on I-80.

I highly recommend toyota trucks.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

how about an excursion v10 or desiel will pull your boat like it doesnt exist, might not get mileage with the v10. are you looking for a new lease, new buying, or a used vehical? personally an f 150 f 250 wouldnt be out of the question either you can get a topper just leave is open and store heavy objects. not sure where you work but at my company they offer $1000.00 cash if you buy a new ford/gm vehical, so i wouldnt even consider toyota its just not american.

jchristi

Seaman Apprentice

I have an 04 expedition with the 5.4 and it pulls my 5-6K boat like it doesnt exist, i can pass cars on the interstate if I want to. In addition to the boat/trailer weight the back is loaded with gear too

Lindeman23

Seaman

how about an excursion v10 or desiel will pull your boat like it doesnt exist, might not get mileage with the v10. are you looking for a new lease, new buying, or a used vehical? personally an f 150 f 250 wouldnt be out of the question either you can get a topper just leave is open and store heavy objects. not sure where you work but at my company they offer $1000.00 cash if you buy a new ford/gm vehical, so i wouldnt even consider toyota its just not american.

When America can produce a car that last as long as the Toyota's/Hondas I have had I will buy one.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

That's odd. I thought the Toyota Tundra was built in San Antonio, TX by Americans.

Golfmann

Cadet

The chevy Tahoe one of the best suv made mine is a 2006 with 180000 on it, only replaced the fuel pump lots of room and its american

Lindeman23

Seaman

The chevy Tahoe one of the best suv made mine is a 2006 with 180000 on it, only replaced the fuel pump lots of room and its american

These are the cars myself/family has had
03 Camry, 190k regular maintenance.
96 Camry 280k, regular maintenance
06 Tacoma 90k, regular maintenance
04 Tundra 130k regular maintenance
06 4Runner 100k, regular maintenance
01 Civic 200k, regular maintenance

American
99 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4- 3 transmission before 100k, rear end at 70k, A/C compressor, oil pressure sensor, brakes every 15k, both keyless entry remotes stoped working, brake light/fogs lights were always a problem not working. (sold it with 100k)
07 Chevy Avalance transmission at 50k, fuel pump 70k battery/alternator every 25k (glad we bought the lifetime warranty.)
02 Escalade Ext, fuel pump 100k, fuel injectors 115k, rear air bag suspension 130, stabilitrac traction control system 140k, rear window leaked since new, fog/head lights continue to fog up, goes through batteries/alternators likes oil changes.
00 GMC Yukon Denali (my fav. american car) rear door speaker stopped working sold with 100k.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Not a lot of choice there. Surbuban is a Yukon XL with little difference. My take as a conservative car buyer is if you're going the foreign route, go new but used for American. Until the depreciation on foreigns gets in line with American car's, and since I'll never buy new, I only drive American. Nothing against foreign per se except they don't fit with my conservative vehicle spending. Also, if your're towing your Starcraft, it doesn't even come remotely close to 5,000lbs, wet with the trailer. It comes up as 2100lbs dry with a v6 plus trailer and gear. That is hands down the lightest, contemporary 19foot boat i've ever heard of and so I wonder if the stats I saw were incorrect. It almost doesn't seem plausible for a v6 equipped I/O to weigh that little and so I'm questioning the website's accuracy here. You could easily get by and then some with a Lambada series vehicle being Traverse/Acadia/Enclave if my assumptions are correct.

aspeck

Staff member

I like my Yukon Denali ... almost 100K on it, had a hic-up with the dexcool antifreeze and had to replace the intake gasket at 60K because of that. Other than that, strictly maintenance items. Still looks great, runs great, tows great. Figure I might replace it in another 100K ... maybe ...

My wife loves her Acadia ... 50K on it and no problems, just maintenance. Probably won't get to pry it away from her any time soon either.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Wow you must drive a lot. Those numbers (toyotas) are impressive but everything is regional. Here in Minnesota where road salt was apparently invented and written into the constitution, if you can get it to last that long kicking and screaming it will be a rusty mess especially the 96 and likely the 01. The other toyotas sound like my list of American cars mostly. I consider car's just getting warmed up at 100k but I've seen them start to rust on the sheet metal in as little as 600 days old. The thing that stikes you when you travel down south is how many cars older than 10 years are on the road and that they are rust free.

Lindeman23

Seaman

Wow you must drive a lot. Those numbers (toyotas) are impressive but everything is regional. Here in Minnesota where road salt was apparently invented and written into the constitution, if you can get it to last that long kicking and screaming it will be a rusty mess especially the 96 and likely the 01. The other toyotas sound like my list of American cars mostly. I consider car's just getting warmed up at 100k but I've seen them start to rust on the sheet metal in as little as 600 days old. The thing that stikes you when you travel down south is how many cars older than 10 years are on the road and that they are rust free.

I've had a couple of those cars, but most of them have been my parent's brothers/sisters cars. Here in KY we also have a lot of salt in the winters. Most of our cars look white from Dec to March with salt. The Civic has a little rust above the rear wheel and that is it. The only thing that could stop the Camry was rear ending a catering truck at 70mph. After the accident it still started and was able to be driven to the side of the road.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I've had a couple of those cars, but most of them have been my parent's brothers/sisters cars. Here in KY we also have a lot of salt in the winters. Most of our cars look white from Dec to March with salt. The Civic has a little rust above the rear wheel and that is it. The only thing that could stop the Camry was rear ending a catering truck at 70mph. After the accident it still started and was able to be driven to the side of the road.

I didn't realize that they used salt down there. One of my cars is a 2000 and I've had it for most of its life and have really babied it. I mean even waxing under the hood. Even with the care and attention, they each seem to have that one spot where they will rust no matter what you do. Right now the original paint is great and I keep it buffed except the one large rust hole behind the rear wheel which really irks me. I'll take a car with mechanical problems but I just hate rust.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Oh for god sakes the op asked an honest question about 3 vehicles, if you have another vehicle to suggest make your point and move on, but if you guys want to start a Toyota VS. GM bash fest start your own thread for the mods to close in seconds.

bhammer, I think all of the vehicles your looking at are fine vehicles, they all have a long and dependable history, I think it comes down to what you like best versus the best price, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three vehicles you suggested, Personally I would go with the Expedition as I like the Fords better but to be completely honest I could see myself driving the Suburban or the Yukon very easily.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Oh for god sakes the op asked an honest question about 3 vehicles, if you have another vehicle to suggest make your point and move on, but if you guys want to start a Toyota VS. GM bash fest start your own thread for the mods to close in seconds.

bhammer, I think all of the vehicles your looking at are fine vehicles, they all have a long and dependable history, I think it comes down to what you like best versus the best price, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three vehicles you suggested, Personally I would go with the Expedition as I like the Fords better but to be completely honest I could see myself driving the Suburban or the Yukon very easily.

Sorry, we're just chatting. My suggestion is verify the weight of the rig and look at the GM Lambadas if indeed it is lighter than the op believes.