Which motor should I buy?

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've decided to sell my Cobalt 190 with Volvo Penta and buy a smaller 16.5' boat with 2 stroke outboard which will be used primarily for water sports.<br /><br />The new hull is rated for a 120 hp and my dealer is recommending the Johnson 115 hp 2 stroke which he feels runs/shifts better than the Mercury. I am loath to go "Old Technology" carbed motor and am leaning towards the 115 hp Optimax. I wish Bombardier had released the 115 hp E-TEC this year but all they have is the re-worked Ficht which will probably be replaced in a year or two.<br /><br />The down side to the Optimax is it is significantly heavier (70+lbs) and more expensive than the Johnson/Evinrude.<br /><br />My last O/B ski boat had a Yamaha which was a great motor but there is not a good dealer in the area and again they are old tech.<br /><br />I also have two other boats with Mercury engines (50 hp EFI 4 stroke, 15 hp classic) both have been very reliable.<br /><br />Does anyone have any experience with the 2004/5 Johnson Carbed and Mercury Optimax? Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: Which motor should I buy?

No real experience with these motors specifically, but I do know that carbed motors do not like to run slow (under 2500 rpms). If you are using this for watersports, consider that for kneeboarding, teaching children, and first time kid tubers, you will need to go slow. My friend with a carbed motor fouls out a couple of sets of plugs annually. He could readjust his carbs, but at high speed he would be too lean and we know what happens then....<br /><br />Personally , I would lean toward the Optimax. Not just for the immediate low end repsonse after long low speed (idle) times, but for fuel savings as well.

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Which motor should I buy?

sorry, he asked for a motor and i had one avail. i however did NOT supply a link.... just simply said " email me"