Which Gear Oil Is Best?

commonarcwelder

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all. Was wondering what gear oil is deemed to be best for OMC? Ive been using Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 in my 35 'Rude for a couple years now with no problems. Could I use this in my 1996 'Rude 225 Vindicator? Does anyone reccomend this oil? Thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Which Gear Oil Is Best?

recommended is 80-90 outboard gear oil, it has additives to protect the lower if you have water intrusion. always replace the washer on the vent and drain screw. #1 cause of water intrusion.

on the older electric shift motors, Premium Blend Type C for electric shift.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

I use nothing but OMC/Bombardier "Hi Vis" in all engines, except electric shifts which require Type "C" as Tashasdaddy stated.

LubeDude

Admiral

Could I use this in my 1996 'Rude 225 Vindicator? Does anyone reccomend this oil? Thanks!

The answer is yes!!!

Automotive synthetic oils will hold the moisture just as well as a marine gear lube. As with any lower unit lube, you should check it often for moisture and discoloration. I check mine a dozen times a year. I have been using Amsoil in all my lower units for over twentyfive years with very good results! I currently have it in my 96 Johnson 200.

commonarcwelder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The answer is yes!!!

Automotive synthetic oils will hold the moisture just as well as a marine gear lube. As with any lower unit lube, you should check it often for moisture and discoloration. I check mine a dozen times a year. I have been using Amsoil in all my lower units for over twentyfive years with very good results! I currently have it in my 96 Johnson 200.
Thanks Guys! Is that AMSOIL 80w90 or 75w90?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

We have used Pennzoil 100% synthetic lower unit gear oil and TCW-3 in all of the family's motors for several years with excellent results. I think that the additives in the marine lower unit oils are designed to do the job well.

Shell owns Pennzoil and they are a huge company with a lot at stake in the Pennzoil Marine lines. I feel confident that the products are good.

commonarcwelder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To me I think the pennzoil outboard oil burns alot cleaner. I do alot of idling fishing the marshes around here and my 35hp doesn't load up near as bad as with the Quicksilver or OMC oil.

commonarcwelder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My father used to work in a lab in a plastics plant. He had tested the different 2-cycle oils and found that none compared to Citgo as far as heat and pressure tests.

TheOilDoc

Petty Officer 1st Class

The answer is yes!!!

Automotive synthetic oils will hold the moisture just as well as a marine gear lube....I have been using Amsoil in all my lower units for over twentyfive years with very good results! .

Must LubeDude pimp Amsoil at every given opportunity? There are numerous gear lubes on the market that perform and protect as well, or better, than Amsoil - for a lot less money.

Marine specific gear lubes will have extra corrosion inhibitors and demulsifiers when compared to automotive gear lubes. I recommend you use a marine gear lube for your marine application.

eriefeelin

Seaman Apprentice

I use Lubrimatic Power Pro semi synthetic in both our Alpha 1 outdrive and our SeaDrive 1.6 outdrive with very good results. It runs about $8 a quart.

LubeDude

Admiral

Must LubeDude pimp Amsoil at every given opportunity?
Marine specific gear lubes will have extra corrosion inhibitors and demulsifiers when compared to automotive gear lubes. I recommend you use a marine gear lube for your marine application.

You really want to start another war don't you? I guess it's just the way you roll!!!

agm_qt_350pxh.jpg

Universal Synthetic Marine Gear Lube SAE 75W/80W-90 (AGM)
High Performance lubricant engineered to meet the demands of marine applications. AMSOIL Universal Synthetic Marine Gear Lube provides:

Excellent Gear and Bearing Protection even when contaminated with 10% water
Reduced Friction and Wear
Rust and Corrosion Protection
Long Seal Life
Superior Foam Prevention

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I recommend you use a marine gear lube for your marine application

Right on, Cuz, I couldn't agree more!

pic.php
[/URL][/IMG]