Which brands to buy for stringer and floor repair (West?, TotalBoat, 1708 cloth?)

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, looking at putting in a new floor, like so many others here. Pulled up the fiberglass sheet and saw the rotten wood. Thanks to WoodonGlass and others I have a list, but are certain brands better than other's? The old floor had 1/4" plywood, which was covered by resin w/GSM Should I use 3"4 marine plywood, but this is too thick to work with the existing deck? Does this look pretty standard, it's an old 75 Thundercraft 16 foot runabout. Do you have to remove the cap to put in new stringers and floor? I don't really have the tools to remove the cap from the boat by myself.

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo318622.jpg
    photo318622.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo318623.jpg
    photo318623.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Exterior Grade 1/2" plywood Glassed on both sides is more than adequate for the deck. Have you checked the transom? A pic of the boat's stern and transom will help us help you decide how to proceed. Make your stringers out of plywood too. Check the link below for good info on how to get started. I like u s c o m p o s i t e s. c o m for all my fiberglass needs.

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, the boat took a back seat to my wife's Odyssey breaking down and needing an alternator and valve cover gaskets over the past month. I pulled up the rest of the floor and removed the rotten wood that were the stringers.

the center stringer was fairly intact (see photo) and set into resin. A little black wood on the transom, so a 1/4" past it's just damp. so I can keep digging until I hit fresh wood. The top of the transom is solid, not wet. I have not pulled the cap, the remove the entire transom. Otherwise I'm looking at popping the cap off, and this 75 Thundercraft is not worth the effort? Thundercraft was a mid-tier boat right?

Thanks to this site and forum newbie boaters stand a chance.

Attachments

• photo320035.jpg
    photo320035.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 1