Which boat would YOU get, and why?

ncor33

Cadet
hey all...here is my dilema! i currently own a 24' trophy, love the layout. but i am tired of dealing with the 1989 twin force outboards. they are in fine shape, but they just always seem to have small, nagging issues, which are keeping me off the water more and more...also, the boat is a bit big for me and my young 'uns, so, i am looking to upgrade to a smaller cc that i can handle with my 7 year old..

so,the two boats i am looking at..

1. 1991 18' invader sharkman with a 1991 115hp merc outboard. boat is CLEAN, needs nothing, motor looks and runs great. no obvious issues, this boat is turn key

2. 1994 17' henry 0 with a 2008 115 hp merc 4 stroke, runs perfect, still under warranty

boat number one costs $2500 less, and is in turn key condition. boat number 2 is in great shape, but more spartan...it costs more plus i would need to add some small things like cover, t top canvas, gps, etc...prob could spend another $500 or so getting her similarly tricked out.

so, do I pay the extra $3000 for a VERY new motor still under warranty, or pay less for the older merc. my priority is a motor that starts every damn time i turn the key, and i will maintain either one perfectly.

assuming i go for the 1991, and the motor gives me grief...could i spend that $3000 that i saved and simply buy a 2005 or newer merc and pop it on, or would i need new rigging etc...and have to spend way more than that?

thanks in advance for any ideas, etc...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Which boat would YOU get, and why?

I don't know those hulls but I think what you want to buy is reliability, so go for the newer motor

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Which boat would YOU get, and why?

Your stated additional cost to bring the newer boat up to the same level is way under the reality. However, the warranty and newer technology of the 2008 cannot be ignored. And if you could get an extended warranty, so much the better.

If anything goes wrong with the older engine you could easily spend the difference and still have an older engine. Or use the difference and replace it with another older engine, where is the value in that?

You can be sure of one thing, no matter which one you get, you will have to spend money on it, so get the one that you wont (in theory) have to put money into the engine.

Just be sure to check the oils and other systems on the engine before signing off on it.