Which boat would you choose

michaelsen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm in my 3rd month looking for a new (used) boat and I have a hard time narrow it down to the right type of boat.<br />I have finally decided to get a trailer boat. I will rather spend extra money on a good towing vehicle than a boat slip and I have only 4-5 miles to the ramp without any hills, so with a Suburban or Excursion I should be able to tow quite a bit.<br />We are a big family, 2 adults and 4 kids (9-15yo). The boat should be able to take us to Bahamas or the Keys a couple of time per year and we would also like to spend some weekends on the ICW, probably combined with a tent on one of the islands out there. It should definately sleep 4. It will probably be used most for fishing offshore and in the ICW.<br />I hope to keep the price under $30,000.<br /><br />So far I have looked mostly at express cruisers, but I am not sure if this will be the right thing for offshore fishing, even though I know that I have to compromise somewhere.<br /><br />What would you choose to fit these needs as much as possible?<br /><br />One more thing... I like I/O best, but 4 stroke outboard would be ok. <br /><br />RegardsRegards<br />MikeMike<br /> :cool: :cool:

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Which boat would you choose

When it comes down to it it will be your preference. We can only offer our thinking so here is mine.<br /><br />You have a big brood and a guarantee you that your kids will want to bring some friends. Sooo you need to be able to carry a lot. That means space and lots of boat. I would look at flybridge cruisers rather than express. With a flybridge you have three spaces for folks - on top, in the back and in the cabin. They are ideal for lotsa folks. On the downside you want to trailer it - you may want to rethink this. When you get a bigger boat that means bigger motor (s), a bigger trailer and that means lotsa weight and that means a big towing vehicle.<br /><br />I had a 27 1/2'flybridge on a triple axle trailer years ago. Boat & trailer weighed 10,000 lbs and was 35' from the front of the trailer to back of the outdrive. It scared the crap out of me going down the road. It was powered by a Chevy 350 and was way underpowered. Way to big for outboards. Your needs indicate something bigger than the one I had.<br /><br />You will not have any problem in finding something decent in your price range.

magster65

Commander

Hi Mike, We just sold our 22.5' express cruiser to get a bigger boat for the same reasons you state; out with 6 or 7 people most of the time, like to fish... etc. We bought a 26' Tollycraft sedan bridge, it's been fantastic and it has tons of room. Like Solittle says, it's nice to have the 3 different areas on the boat where people can move to without being in each others way. Something to consider :) <br />Happy shopping!<br />
Tolly%20Bow%20Uncover%20Star.jpg
<br />For more pictures: http://members.shaw.ca/powerman/Tolly pics.htm

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

MikeMike.. I know Palm Bay is a good bit of a drive from West Palm, but if you have nothing to do and feel like a little day trip, you might want to consider comming down to the West Palm Beach boat show... It's right Down Town WPB, on the water... Any and every kind of boat you can imagine... The show runs through sunday March 30th...<br /> http://www.showmanagement.com/PalmBeachBoatShow/PalmBeachBoatShow.htm <br /><br />You won't find (i don't think) anything in your price range, but it might help you decide what type of boat will fit your needs best...

jamessloan

Seaman Apprentice

I agree that an express or flybridge would likely fit the bill as far as space goes. If you're gonna tow it, remember that most boats in this caegory have a beam over 8 ft. 6 in. and will be "over width" without a DOT permit. These are easy enough to get (any truck stop has a permit desk) and you'll probably be OK going the short distance you describe to the ramp. Once there, launching a boat of this size takes more room and water than most...not something I'd want to do every weekend.<br /><br />You may want to consider a larger walkaround type boat(Grady, Mako, Proline, etc.) You should be able to sleep 2-3 in the cabin and there's plenty of room for a 3 man tent (with fibergalas poles) in the cockpit. The kids will love it and you'll have a versatile fishing boat.<br /><br />One final thought, if you get a fybridge or express, get a diesel. Gas will suck your wallet dry in the Bahamas!!

michaelsen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have never really looked at the fly bridge boats, but it sound like a good idea if I drop the thoughts about the trailer.<br /><br />I was out on the river this weekend and saw a Wellcraft Coastal, probably around 28'. It was a pretty nice looking boat and it looked like there was a lot of outside space and also a cabin.<br /><br />Anyway thanks for the help. It was nice to get some suggestions and I think I am going away from the regular express cruiser and decide for one of the above.<br /><br />Regards<br />Mike

michaelsen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

By the way magster, thats a nice looking boat!<br /><br />What year is it and what is the cruise speed?<br /><br />Regards<br />Mike

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Aw geez....now you've got Magster started again.... :rolleyes: <br /><br />OK. So I'm still jealous... :mad: