Which 4 stroke to buy?

tajones

Cadet
I am a south Arkansas river fisherman. I've had a 15ft Duracraft Aluminum boat with a 40 4 cylinder Merc since 87. Last year the motor gave me allot of problems and I spent quite a bit of money keeping it going. To make along story short, it siezed on me and I been thinking of replacing it with a new 4 stroke engine. I been looking at the 40 hp models. Which ones the best? Honda, Mercury, Nissan, I just don't know. I never was to fond of the Mercury thats siezed up now. I had to fix on it allot in it's years of service. I would just like to get a motor that has a good rep for being trouble free and lasting. Thanks for any advice.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Which 4 stroke to buy?

Howdy, Jabo.<br /><br />I agree with Trent, except I suggest that you also consider the Tohatsu and the Suzuki.<br /><br />The Suzuki, by the way, is the only one in that class that is fuel injected. For me, that would be the decider. EFI makes as much difference in 4 stroke outboards as it does in cars.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

D

DJ

jabo,<br /><br />Are you handy? Can you replace filters, water pumps, etc.?<br /><br />If you can, try a Tohatsu/Nissan.<br /><br />Don't expect any dealer support. You can get the parts on-line.<br /><br />Otherwise, stick with the dealer, in your area, you are comfortable with.

Forktail

Ensign

Although Fuel injected, the Suzuki is 57 lbs heavier than the Yamaha.

D

DJ

Jabo,<br /><br />If you're concerned about weight, a 4-stroke might not be for you. I'm assuming your 40 hp. Merc. was a 4-02? (402). <br /><br />If it was, that's about the lightest 40 ever built.<br /><br />For the same performance, I would go with another 2-stroke of similar hp.<br /><br />A 25-30 hp. four stroke would be of similar weight.

Steelie

Cadet

Jabo, Stay away from Suzuki unless you enjoy sitting on your front porch for weeks on end waiting for parts. Suzuki customer support is pathetic and a lot of parts are not even stocked in this country. :(

tema

Cadet

JB, I don't think it's quite correct that only Suzuki has 4-stroke efi in that class. For 2002, Mercury/Mariner also has a range of 4-stroke efi, from 30 to 115 Hp. I would know, because I have just bought a Mariner 50Hp 4-stroke EFI myself. Unfortunately I haven't mounted it yet, so I can't give you a report on how it performs, but if you take a look at http://www.sportfishing.co.za/Mariner%20Report.htm you can read a report of the 115 hp version. It seems like the EFI does make a real difference. But djohns19, you're right, there is a weight penalty, as the 40 Hp is over 200 lbs.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Tema.<br /><br />I knew about the Merc 60 EFI, but I didn't know about the smaller ones. EFI is the way to go.<br /><br />Steelie: While I sympathize with your problems, I don't think you have enough info to bash the Suzis, even after the Suzi-bashing orgies you've had on at least 2 sites I visit. <br /><br />My experience has been opposite of yours. Service has been excellent from my dealer and from Suzuki. My Suzi DF70 is magic on the water.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

bundy

Seaman

Steelie,You're starting to sound like a whiner! Are you STILL having problems?

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

While I can't say that I know much about the Suzuki's,, (I've only owned one) I used to race thier motocross bikes, always found them execellent for that sort of stuff.<br />my suzuki outboard never had a problem will I hit a huge rock with it and tore it off the back of the boat..<br />so I never got to find out what they were like for service because it never broke down.<br /><br />However I can say this,, if you have had any toy worth several thousand dollars, and it breaks and you can't seem to get it fixed.. it doesn't matter what it is, who made it or anything else.. you get soured on that brand..<br /><br />So don't be too hard on Steelie,, I would probably be similiar if it happened to me.<br /><br />(another example of this was the recent topic on GM engines and piston slap.)<br /><br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

Steelie

Cadet

Bundy, A whiner? At approx. 850 rpms I now have a high pitched screech. Sounds like finger nails on a chalk board. Oh well it was only $7000, just money.

tajones

Cadet

Gentlemen,<br />Let me appoligize for being so slow with a reply. I am grateful for the info. It has been educational, and has also raise some other questions. I will ask them in a later post. Thanks again<br />Jabo

jsull1

Recruit

Hi,<br />I have a question alone the same line,<br />I'm considering a Merc 4 stroke 75 hp, but I<br />just found out that the 75 & 90 do not come with efi.<br />First question: Is that true?<br />Second.. Any problems with the carb motors?<br />I may opt for the 60 witch I know has efi.<br />thanks in advance,<br /> John

MURX

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That high pitched screach have anything to do with the camshaft? does the cam actually have bearings or does it ride directly on aluminum? and don't tell me you've never seen an OHC engine without cam bearings guys! cause there are plenty of engines desinged this way beleive it or not..........Don I HATE SUZUKIS

tema

Cadet

Sullj, that's correct, Mercury has 4 stroke Efi with 30, 40, 50, 60, and 115 Hp, the 75 and 90 Hp are carburetted variants only. <br /><br />By the way, for all the mentioned efi models they have carburettor models too. What the practical differences are I don't know, but I have the impression that the efi models are much more responsive than the carburetted ones, however when it comes to fuel economy I'm not sure if the difference is that big. It's probably marginal. I haven't really heard anything about it at all, so if anyone has more info about the difference in fuel economy, I'm probably not the only one who will be listening.