Which 4 stroke outboard is the best??

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok guys what do you think? I've heard a lot of good things about all the different brands but which is really the best? Yamaha, Honda, Evinrude E-TEC 2>4, or the Johnsons? I've been an evinrude guy my whole life and really like these new E-TEC's but are they as efficient as the 4 strokes or is it just fluff?? Just got a cd rom from them and it seems pretty impressive. 1 thing I really liked is if you lose your oil the motor automatically drops down to like 1500 rpms and will run for 5 hours with no oil!!! Very cool!!!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which 4 stroke outboard is the best??

At 1200-1500 it'll run longer than that with no oil.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is no "best" 4 stroke, Grady.<br /><br />Yes, the E-Tecs are as clean and efficient as they say.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm really interested in the E-TEC....haven't been able to find any prices online however. Guess I'll have to talk to a dealer when I'm ready.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

myoutboards,<br />Great site. Thanks!!!

G

I have a 50 e-tec. Yes it is very efficient. It replaced a merc 50 (carbed 2 stroke). I've heard the newer motors can be twice as efficient. That's not true in everyday conditions but they are much better on gas (I'd estimate about 50% better in regular use). <br /><br />Nice motors. <br /><br />Having said that, my merc was faster. (33mph vs 38mph on my boat)

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Interesting. On the commercial all they talked about was how fast they were. Wonder why the merc was faster if they were both 2 stroke? There must be some sacrafice some where. Having said that I spoke to my mechanic yesterday and he doesn't know to much about the E-TEC's because they are so new. He said the best one right now would have to go to Yamaha. When did the E-TEC technology come out? I'll have to check that out.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

One variable you should consider is available and confidence in local service.