Wherer to buy great looking pontoon sides - Fiberglass or Aluminum for restoration.

nvr-enuf

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I searched the forum to see if I could find my answer but did not see any results.
I have a 28' sun tracker double decker party barge / hut and would like to redo the boat but the key is that it will look really good. The side panels are "ok" but are in need of complete replace with new aluminum skins or I was thinking if someone out there sells the great looking fiberglass sides, I could do that route and it would look really sharp.

Any suggestions where to find great looking sides would be appreciated or if people have simply purchased material, painted, then applied would be good to know as well.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Wherer to buy great looking pontoon sides - Fiberglass or Aluminum for restorati

Your best place to buy such supplies would be through recreational vehicle parts sources.

There are a number of rv parts salvage yards online out of Elkhart, IN that sell the fiberglass sheets.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wherer to buy great looking pontoon sides - Fiberglass or Aluminum for restorati

I have been looking at this as well, here is what I found. You can go with a product called FILON, it is made for RV's for their siding. There are several companies that make and sell it on line, and it comes in rolls, down side is it is on the expensive side. The other option is FRP that can be picked up at most any big box hardware store where they sell the wall paneling. It is mainly used in industrial kitchens on the walls. It comes in 4X8 lengths and sometimes 12' lengths and comes in 1/8" and 1/16" thickness. It will run about $30 a 4X8 sheet.
I was looking at going with the FRP since it is readily available and seems very flexible (So the occasional dings with the boat dock don't make a permanent dent), and can be easily cut with a razor knife or table saw. I have tested it and it can easily make the bends in the corners and be sanded and painted. My issue I have not solved is mounting it to the railing. I would like to mount mine to the outside of the railing to give a nice smooth look like a lot of the newer boats and put on a nice paint scheme on the outside and maybe use carpet on the inside to give a nice finished look. But I have not found a way to mount it without screws or rivets showing on the outside skin. So maybe someone has some suggestions on that part.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

These guys will build to your specifications and your custom designs.

Pontoon Boat Railings

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The Filon is meant to be glued with contact cement on plywood. Your screws would be through the plywood and the Filon glued on top.

You'd just have to be careful to have the top sealed well, where no water gets behind the plywood or Filon.