Where'd All The Gas Go???

Kmestep

Cadet
Ok guys...need some words of wisdom here. We were on the lake this weekend using our almost finished 16ft tri-hull Starcraft. We're running a late 70s 115HP Evinrude. The engine runs like a champ but drinks an obscene amount of gas! We ran through 6 gallons of petrol in about 30 minutes at cruising speed. I NEED HELP. What in the world could be causing this? No leaks, btw...any thoughts?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where'd All The Gas Go???

To do the math simply, your outboard uses about 11.5 GPH at WOT. So at 6GPHalfHour, you are not that far off.

Althought, you said that was at cruising speed, which should be more fuel economical.

Boat not water logged at all? No growth on the hull? Do you trim for optimal performance?

Kmestep

Cadet

It's a tri-hull...fairly light boat. Just two people in it. I guess we're just concerned that such a small boat w/ a powerful engine is using so much fuel. There's no power trim but the whale's tale does an adequate job of getting the boat on plane quickly.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

How is the setup? What hole do you have the pin in?

Also, what is your current WOT RPM?

Kmestep

Cadet

It's mounted on the next to lowest setting (I believe it's the 2nd mounting hole). Unsure of the RPMs, no tachometer yet. Cruising speed is about 20 MPH according to our GPS so we're not beating this thing up. Engine runs very smooth, no strong smell of Gas. Could there be a problem with the Carb?

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

It's mounted on the next to lowest setting (I believe it's the 2nd mounting hole). Unsure of the RPMs, no tachometer yet. Cruising speed is about 20 MPH according to our GPS so we're not beating this thing up. Engine runs very smooth, no strong smell of Gas. Could there be a problem with the Carb?

As HighTrim said, at wide open throttle, your gas consumption would be 11-12 gph. You are going at cruising speed which should be lower consumption because - theoretically - the engine's RPMs at cruising speed should be lower than WOT, burning less gas. My personal experience is that the "10% of HP" gas consumption at WOT is pretty accurate (give or take), and that my cruising GPH is about 25-30% less probably because my cruising RPM is about 25-30% less.

First question - are you really going significantly slower than WOT at what you consider cruising, like 65-75%? If you are going closer than that to WOT, like 80-90%, your consumption of close to 12 gph would not be all that surprising. It is also not surprising if you are pulling skiers, etc.

Second -Are you absolutely sure you're burning 6 gallons every 1/2 hour, not 4 1/2 or 5? Bottom line, your outboard will burn a lot of fuel no matter what you do. At cruise, I don't think you'd be doing much better than 8-10 gph (4-5 / 30 min). It could be that unless you're measuring your fuel consumption pretty carefully, it could actually be closer to 5 than 6 - therefore fairly normal.

Finally, without a tach, you don't really know if that cruising speed is in fact lower than the engine's recommended WOT. It is possible that your current prop and set up could actually run the engine at higher than recommended RPMs at wide open, therefore, the cruising RPMs, while being lower than that, are still as high as or closer than you think to WOT. Therefore, gas usage would be at the 11-12 gph rate. I have no idea if this is the case, but it is a possibility that only a tach will tell you.

So, to me, to know if you are really burning more gas than expected at cruise, you really need to know if you're cruising at less than the engine's recommended WOT. If it were my boat, I'd install a tach, or at least buy a "tiny tach" (available through many sources - Cabela's is one) to figure this out and also to fine tune your prop selection and engine set up.

As for engine set up, you probably know that performance (and economy) can be effected by the height and trim of the engine. You've mentioned the trim position - how about the height - the relationship of the antiventilation plate (aka AV plate, also called cavitation plate) to the bottom of the boat?

Are you absolutely sure the boat is not waterlogged at all?

Last edited:

Randyg123

Petty Officer 1st Class

Six gallons in thirty minutes at 20 miles per hours comes out to a whopping one and two-thirds miles per gallon.

And at $3.75/gallon, that's $2.25 per mile:eek:

Food for thought!

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

With the engine set that low, and dragging a whale-tail thru the water probably is'nt helping matters.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Six gallons in thirty minutes at 20 miles per hours comes out to a whopping one and two-thirds miles per gallon.

And at $3.75/gallon, that's $2.25 per mile:eek:

Food for thought!

Fie on you! We don't like to think about stuff like that! I calculated the mpg and $/mi for my 200 hp w/ jet, but I have made a conscious effort to forget that fact, and ignore it nowadays.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Sounds a little excessive but they all eat a lot of fuel.
But it is all kinds of fun now is it not ????

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I'd check RJohnson's comment. If the engine is too low, the whale tail could be dragging under the surface of the water. Check it. If it is too low, you should see excessive amounts of spray at the transom when at planing speeds. The planing waterline should run just under the antiventilation plate when on plane. If you have such a small boat, do you even need the whale tail? You could also be underpropped. Until you know your high speed tach readings, you can't determine proper prop pitch.