Where to start

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have totally rebuilt a 1971 18hp Evinrude. (powerhead, Carb, waterpump, lower unit. Just can't get it started. I don't know where to set the carburetor screws. It turns over but doesn't stay running. Very smoky too, someone told me to put a little extra oil in gas for the first run. Any suggestions?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
3/4 turns open on the high speed and 1-1/2 on the slow speed will get it running. Adjust from there, once running. "Extra" oil from what? 50:1 is normal spec. 24:1 won't hurt, but necessity is a matter of opinion.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is there a high speed mixture screw on a 71 model 18 HP ??----Test for strong spark.---Try switching plug leads.

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there a high speed mixture screw on a 71 model 18 HP ??----Test for strong spark.---Try switching plug leads.
Yes there is only one screw mixture screw i think
, just not sure where to set. Should I turn all the way in and back off a certain amount? I changed caps, points and condensers. The plug leads are definitely right.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Does spark jump a gap of 5/16" on a TEST DEVICE . ?----Is the high speed jet found screwed into the very bottom of the float bowl clean, yes or no ?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Ha! thought I lost this pic. With both plugs out, you might look for 3/4" spark, then close the gap until you see a strong sharp spark. 5/8" is what you need: xLIS50850_1200Wx1200H.jpg.pagespeed.ic.DpYWD8n9Ep.jpg
Don't get the closed style (inline).

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Doubt that the points / condenser magneto on a 71 model 18 HP can jump a gap of 5/8".----Look for 5/16" as a very good spark on these !!

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will try again this weekend. I want to check points and condensors. Make sure no wires are pinched.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
ok you got fire and fuel.....

what about compression #s
now you need to get the gas inside the cylinders....

do you feel a good suction on the carb face ? my understanding of carbs is that the first shot of "fumes" comes from choking and the top idle passage idle chamber/drip holes ....have they been check ?

is the choke fully closing? and is it releasing...

will it stay running if you pump the fuel bulb ? yes===> bad fuel pump !!!

see picture for potential carb issues (older carb picture but same basic issues )

Attachments

• carrb bugs.PNG
    carrb bugs.PNG
    214.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When choke plate is closed a very low pressure develops in the carburetor when you pull the rope.----Then the atmospheric pressure in the float bowl floods the carburetor throat with fuel.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
agree... yet in start mode after the choke plate opens up the fuel mostly comes from the idle cct part of the carb until given throttle .

it should idle after starting

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got it running I bypassed the fuel pump. I ordered a new one. but low idle it coughs very hard. My carburetor only has 1 screw for oil/gas mixture. Also what is running tempeture? I don't feel it is getting enough water throughout head. Water was boiling when I splashed the head. I rebulit water pump

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
You are overheating (over 160F). Get an infrared tester -- look for 120-130F.
water pump rebuild is suspect. Key in place? Tube in grommet at pump?
Run in a barrel (water about half way up the leg) or on the boat -- muffs won't do it for you.)
Carb adjustment at the top would be for air/fuel mix. Set it at about one turn open to start (1 to 1 1/2).
Wait for the replacement fuel pump for more testing. Use a 50:1 gas to oil ratio. Mix a gallon at a time for testing.
Measure the spark, as indicated (tests strength of magneto).

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I rebuilt water pump. still had problem took off lower unit and did drill test. It worked when I sunk lower unit almost all the way to pump housing. I don't remember having to do that before. I'm going to look at head make sure no build up. Maybe reverse fins on impellor? or in the gear housing? I rebuilt that too, could something be wrong down there?

Attachments

• IMG_4379.MOV
    4.9 MB · Views: 4

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Water has to be at least 6 inches above the pump as they are not self priming. It is hard to tell but I think the motor is not deep enough in your barrel.

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Water has to be at least 6 inches above the pump as they are not self priming. It is hard to tell but I think the motor is not deep enough in your barrel.
I will take head off to make sure not blocked up and lower unit make sure pipe in in grommet. I will take better pics and also video. Thank you so much so far guys