Where to Source a replacement bung (bilge plug)?

Whitey72

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All,
Does anybody know where I can buy a spare bildge bung for my Q4? Tahoe stuff is very hard to source here in Australia. Are they the same as other boat makers that I can try and source from there (eg Bayliner)? The standard replacement bungs you buy here in Chandlery stores are smaller with a different thread. I still have one but if I lose it I'm stuffed.
Cheers
Geoff

Whitey72

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Where to Source a replacement bung (bildge plug)?

C'mon Gents, surely someone has had to replace a bung beforehand can give me an answer! Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers Geoff

sigfire

Cadet

Hey Whitey,
Are you talking about the brass drain plug?

Whitey72

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry, forgot to add the boat is a 2006 Ski/Fish Q4. I'm chasing a spare plastic bilge bung, not the brass (sump) bung. I'm only guessing it is the original one fitted but it doesn't look like it has been tampered with or changed. The replacement ones in the shops here are either twice as large in diameter or slightly smaller but both have a really thick course thread. I've attached a photo of my bung, but not of the rear of the transom as I can't get to it at the moment.
Cheers WhiteyIMG_3352 (Large).jpgIMG_3354 (Large).jpg

magicman1223

Seaman

That is what mine looks like.. ill measure and see if the size looks right. If so ill hit up bass pro and see if they have one and maybe point you in the right direction.

Whitey72

Seaman Apprentice

Great, Thanks for the help Magicman! Just trying to make sure I have a spare when I lose the one I have, as I know its coming sooner or later!!
Cheers
Whitey

Whitey72

Seaman Apprentice

Magicman, you are a legend, thanks for your help!! I'll go and order a couple as I'll always then have spares.
Cheers Whitey

Whitey72

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Where to Source a replacement bung (bilge plug)?

Belay That,
I logged onto "Great Lakes Skipper" and I definately think that they are the same. $7.95 each for the whole lot, no worries, I only want the plugs but I can live with that. Went to the checkout and ordered 2 bung assemblies weighing next to nothing with postage and they want $54.99 for the cheapest postage to Australia! You have to be kidding me!! I just bought a 4 blade 14x21 ally prop from Iboats and it was only $42 postage to Australia which arrived in 6 days.

Anybody have any other ideas? C'mon Iboats please list these bungs and I'll happily buy from you as your service is excellent!

Cheers
Whitey

magicman1223

Seaman

I thought that the shipping would be bad but not that bad.. WOW! um... hum.. I am out of ideas.. wonder if shipping private through Fedex would be cheaper..

magicman1223

Seaman

What region of Australia are you located in? I am planning on using false address to get shipping quotes from a few vendors..

Whitey72

Seaman Apprentice

I'm at Narangba, Queensland, 4504. Just north of Brisbane on the East Coast. I did a search through Google on "TH Marine 1 Inch Nylon Boat Drain Plug" and there is plenty of places that sell them in the US with the cheapest being about $5. Trouble is if they ship to Australia they were about the same price of $55 and some calculators even went to $148US for shipping. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers Whitey

sstacey

Cadet

I lost the plug for my Tahoe 215 CC and borrowed one from the marina. Didn't mention size or shape. It fit perfectly. Then my father said he had one on his boat and we checked and it too was the same size. He has a 70' Montecello. I don't think the Tahoe is a special size.

magicman1223

Seaman

Whitey72 I was not able to come up with any better shipping rates. :( I am not sure what kind of stores would carry the plug in your area. Sorry I couldn't find anything else .

Whitey72

Seaman Apprentice

Magicman, No worries, thanks for looking anyway. No I know what I'm after I'll keep searching the net and might het lucky!
Cheers From Down Under
Whitey

Whitey72

Seaman Apprentice

Ben,
Thanks mate for the link. Amazon are a bit funny and for some reason they don't like shipping to Australia. I have just ordered 2 complete plugs (only wanted the stems but oh well) from "sportsmanguide.com" for $3.44 ea with shipping at $30. All up for 2 spare bilge plugs it'll cost me $36.88 but so be it as I'd be stuffed if I lost my only one.

Thanks for all the help guys over the course of this thread!!!!!

Cheers from Australia,
Whitey