where to get rough service bulbs

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Now that we can't buy rough service bulbs, what do we do about droplights? In the past, I've bought rough service bulbs that have a protective coating to protect the glass from shattering and going all over the place when they break. The compact fluorescent bulbs don't have that and i'm hearing that we're supposed to dispose of them as hazardous waste because of the mercury. Anyone find a replacement or just go with a covered fluorescent tube type light and throw away the standard drop lights?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: where to get rough service bulbs

Now that we can't buy rough service bulbs, what do we do about droplights? In the past, I've bought rough service bulbs that have a protective coating to protect the glass from shattering and going all over the place when they break. The compact fluorescent bulbs don't have that and i'm hearing that we're supposed to dispose of them as hazardous waste because of the mercury. Anyone find a replacement or just go with a covered fluorescent tube type light and throw away the standard drop lights?

While they are not totally gone up here they are getting harder to find.

We did find a good selection at the building supply store and I bet you can still find them in some farm and garden stores, how about a lighting stores?

The only reason we still use them is the 100 watt long life are great to keep the well house warm in the winter, nothing worse than frozen/burst pipes.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Many stores may not stock them, but some do.
Walmart has them on website, w/ free ship to store.
Amazon has lots of them.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I just picked up a dozen of them at my local Home Depot.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I'm still buyin' the same rough service bulbs I always got from my local Napa....

They've got the extra filament supports, but no plastic coating...

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As I understand it special use bulbs exempt from ban

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

I used to buy the 'armored' rough service bulbs, plastic coated well enough a drop of water hitting it wouldn't knock it out, but I have since switched to fluorescent tubes, some hardware stores sell a clear tube 'cover' that slides over the tube to protect it from things and if hit hard enough to break the tube the cover contains the shrapnel well.