Where to get carpet

kaw550

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to order a carpet. Who has the largest selection?
It seems the web sites have one or two lines but the pictures are all small or of poor quality.

Is there a difference between marine and indoor/outdoor? I thought I read something about it but can't remember f it was good or bad.

I would like to find the same carpet in two different weights. One for the floor and another for seat bases, consoles, etc.
Do I want berber. cut pile, loop?

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Where to get carpet

Corinthian marine carpet. You can get samples from them and decide from there. Your going to get a lot of posts from those saying carpet doesn't belong on a boat, etc... But you might get some good info by calling up a marine carpet place and asking their opinion. As for marine vs indoor/outdoor carpet, I'm not sure the difference.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

What kind of boat is it going in? Fishing? Ski/water antics?

kaw550

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is going in an 18 foot open bow ski type boat. So looks and comfort are important.

I am replacing the carpet after repairing the floor. The original carpet held up well but i have no idea what type if carpet or what weight it was.

southkogs

Staff member

I've had vinyl floors in both my boats. Some family has carpet in one of theirs that we're on board regularly. I'll probably never own a carpeted boat. It's easier to keep vinyl clean and functioning, and I find the look and comfort comparable.

kaw550

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like the idea of vinyl but i have never seen it installed in a boat. Not sure i am ready to switch.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Had vinyl once in a small day cruiser. Was easy to clean but got hot on bare feet. Have carpet in my Lund, hasn't been too hard to keep clean. Much cooler on bare feet and deadens noise going through the boat which helps on those spooky fish in clear water. To me it's a coin flip and personal taste.

Also in the Lund I am not pulling people in and out of the water and have had very few fish hit the deck over the years. About the only time the inside has gotten wet is when we've been caught in a rain and the fish were biting really good.

southkogs

Staff member

I like the idea of vinyl but i have never seen it installed in a boat. Not sure i am ready to switch.
In this picture I hadn't done cleanup on the floor yet, and have just realized that I never did another shot with the floor specifically:
Boat 8.jpg
40 year old floor, and fake smoked wood finish on the seats to boot.

Newer stuff is MUCH nicer looking. A couple of guys have posted shots of theirs on the boards here, but I can't remember which threads.

jsimms724

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A guy I know in the carpet business told me that marine carpet and in/out door carpet is the same product from the same mill and even from the same run. nautalex seems like good stuff they sent me some samples, the shark flooring is the one I liked. I put some hot cigar ashes on it, with no issues.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

Take a look at SeaDek foam flooring. Generally used on swimplatforms but you can buy larger sheets and cut to fit your floorplan. Very comfortable underfoot and comes in many colors. Hose off, easy to clean.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Take a look at SeaDek foam flooring. Generally used on swimplatforms but you can buy larger sheets and cut to fit your floorplan. Very comfortable underfoot and comes in many colors. Hose off, easy to clean.

I would very much like that option...damm big money for foam???

kaw550

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took a look. SeaDek is nice but it would get expensive.

Any idea what weight I would need? I called Dorsett. The woman that answer the phone recommended their 18oz line. Their next one up was like 36oz. She said it would take too long to dry.

Cut pile or loop? What looks nicer?

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did mine last year and used 20 oz. marine grade. Picked it up locally from Santa Barbara Ulphostery Supply they have everything. they have a shop in Las Vegas and here in Phoenix. I used indoor/outdoor carpet glue from Lowes. Marine carpet is way better than any indoor/outdoor carpet. I did scotch guard the carpet before I installed. I also used some contact cement for edges. I put in pile and is great.
I need to order a carpet. Who has the largest selection?
It seems the web sites have one or two lines but the pictures are all small or of poor quality.

Is there a difference between marine and indoor/outdoor? I thought I read something about it but can't remember f it was good or bad.

I would like to find the same carpet in two different weights. One for the floor and another for seat bases, consoles, etc.
Do I want berber. cut pile, loop?

fishrdan

Admiral

Picked it up locally from Santa Barbara Ulphostery Supply they have everything. they have a shop in Las Vegas and here in Phoenix.

Weird, I though that place was a mom & pop shop here in Vegas. They are my go-to upholstery supplier.

I'd use "marine" carpet as I used indoor/outdoor carpet before and it didn't last very long before sun rotting. It's one of those "pay now or pay later, and go through all the labor of ripping the old stuff out and installing new stuff again" type of things...

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Some new boat manufacturers offer snap in carpet on top of factory installed vinyl flooring. But, customers don't often use their carpeting. Everyone I've heard with vinyl floors love them. The vinyl used is heavy and relatively expensive, however.

Marine carpet can be bought online--see Google. But have you ever considered checking with your local carpet store? With a large # of boats locally, our carpet stores stock common colors of marine carpets.

fsjcowboy

Seaman Apprentice

Veada.com Good selection. Nice people. Great moral character for a company.