Where to find Quality Rebuilt DP-A Volvo Outdrivers?

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
Unfortunately, as you can see, two new DP-A outdrives were bought. Its very obvious that the anodes were most likely NEVER changed as the props appeared to have never been off. Ive educated myself with the props off and should have no issues removing the props with the boat in the water to change the anodes every two years or so. It also needs new props, but that will have to wait. The old outdrives just couldnt be rebuilt and buying rebuilt outdrives to save a little $ couldve worked out against us.

The mechanic had ask me if I wanted the exhaust bellows replaced. I said no, even if they have some small holes n such we could save ~$150 by not getting new bellows. I guess he took that as take the bellows off and leave them off....

The question is, will this ever cause any issues? The boat is so big the rear of the boat isnt like a run-about. If 10 people are on the back of the boat its never lower than with no people on it. Could waves potentially cause the water to rise quick enough to get into the cylinders? We typically do not have waves bigger than 2-3' but you never know. Yes I understand the exhaust bellows have water in them all the time but it must travel past the rubber exhaust flappers on the end of the tail, up the O/D, then back into the exhaust. Those rubber flappers seam to seal fairly well onto the end of the tail (you can see them in the photos). Without the bellows its a direct shot into the exhaust.

Maclin

Admiral
I would install them. It is designed by VP to all work together to minimize water intrusion from wave pressure.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
Can they be installed by tilting the od up? I read about 'expander tools' all the time but I think thats for a mercruiser.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
It appears that you can install the exhaust bellows with the outdrive on the boat tilted up. Guy on youtube did it with a 290, which I think it very similar to the DP-A. Tilt it up and turn it one way or the other and slide them in.

Yeah, its a large boat. Those DP-A's have diesel props on them. Helps to move more water, they do pretty good.