Where to find Force 50 needle valve?

ricksonntag

Cadet
1991 Force 50, Tillotson carb. TC-120A<br /><br />Last year I had a plugged carb while I was on vacation. (I use my boat each year during my 2-week vacation, and it sits for the other 50 weeks.) The local dealer said he had a 3-week backlog - longer than my vacation - so I removed the carb and fixed it myself. I'm grateful to the guy who helped me, since I'd never touched a carb before, but he did manhandle the parts a bit. The needle valve now has some very slight scrapes on the shaft because of the way he handled it. It works fine, but I'd like to have a new one available for the next time I need to disassemble the carb. Any idea where I can find one? (After reading numerous posts, it seems there are a couple of types of needle valves out there. As I recall, mine has an orange rubberized tip.)<br /><br />Also, do you guys recommend any supplemental filters in the fuel line? All I have is the metal strainer in the fuel pump. Does an inline filter help, or does the extra resistance to flow cause more harm than good?<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />-- Rick (newcomer here)

mconroy

Cadet
Re: Where to find Force 50 needle valve?

I just rebuilt my 1989 50 Hp carb. I ordered the Quicksilver parts over the Internet. I also added a fuel filter since I had a problem with dirt getting into the system. Engine runs fine. I used a larger automotive type filter with a clear housing so that I could see the fuel.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Should be able to get the part(s) from a Mercury dealer.

ricksonntag

Cadet

I'll have to look for another dealer. Last year when I had the carb apart I took the needle to the Merc dealer near the lake (Baker Marine in Hawley, PA), and he said he could not get a replacement.

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

go to www.fairwindsmarina.com and get the phone number. Call them with your model and serial # and they should be able to get it for you. They specialize in Chrysler/Force. I live near them and they have a pretty good parts selection. Every part I have needed for my 1984 Chrysler they have been able to get.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Funny the mercury dealer would say that. Maybe because you did not have a part number. Here is a link for a carb from a 1991 force 50 HP. There are many models for that year so if you want to be absolutly certian post your model number. This is a merc number so you should be able to get it from them.<br /> force 50 HP carb Item 14