Where there is a will there is a way

mynorac

Cadet
For anybody who has an old boat that really wants to fix it but can?t afford new major parts there is hope! You may want to read my other posts so that you have a little background. My boat is a 1969 Sabre Craft with a 120/140hp engine that has an 8 spline drive shaft in the lower gear casing assembly. I only paid $1,300.00 for the boat, trailer, and other miscellaneous stuff that the previous owner through in deal.

The boat ran fine and I had it out on a nearby lake soon after getting it home. You need to know that I am a newbie at motor boats. However, I am 68 years old, a Vietnam Vet and have been around mechanical stuff my whole adult life. I am not a mechanic but worked as an electrical engineer for 40 years.

This boat fit my needs as it has sliding fiberglass canopy that fits over the helm section of the boat providing perfect protection from the sun, rain, and shelter for my dogs. Being a newbie I knew enough to drain the water from the engine but I never thought to check the sterndrive. It gets cold in Montana and somehow water got into the lower gear case section of the sterndrive. Of course the water froze and the sterndrive cracked ? see the photos in my other posts.

So I joined several forums and started asking questions about what to do. I got good answers but the most sensible at the time was to get another lower assembly. I called several places and was willing to purchase good used unit. The problem is that Mercruiser redesigned a lot between 1969 and 1970. From 1970 on there are considerable options but because my drive shaft is 8 spline and not 13, my options are: Spend a lot more money, get rid of the boat and cut my losses, or repair it myself. I chose the latter because I really want to keep the boat.

Almost all the responses about repairing the crack were not making me feel too optimistic. Several response implied that this is not a DYI project and that special tools are required. In the beginning I was hoping that I could just have the crack welded but that was just dumb thinking. If the crack is to be welded I would have to remove everything inside and then have welded.

I admit that it took several days of research on the web and jury-rigging several automobile wheel pullers but I got everything apart and it is pretty much ready for welding. While I was at it, I removed and disassembled the upper stern drive assembly. The pinion gears, roller bearings, shafts and other stuff does have minor surface rust but IMO everything is still viable. The professional mechanic that is doing the welding agrees with my assessment of the parts and is charging very little for the welding, part cleaning and lube. I still have a lot to do but I am optimistic that this boat will be running again. I know I will be asking for more advice and information along the way.

Attachments

• photo269701.JPG
    photo269701.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo271573.jpg
    photo271573.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo271574.JPG
    photo271574.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo271575.JPG
    photo271575.JPG