Where is this water coming from - '86 Mariner 45HP

CatfishMN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everyone,

Last month I posted a thread about changing the impeller on this motor, and that was no problem. After doing the impeller, I am noticing water coming from under the powerhead (see pic). I guess it was doing it before the impeller change, but the new impeller must be moving more water, which made it more pronounced.

My questions are....

Where is this water coming from? If I look under the cowling, there is a small amount of water pooling at the bottom.

Is this affecting cooling? The telltale stream seems kind of weak, but it stays cool when running for 15 minutes on muffs, and the motor itself stays cool. I had it on the river yesterday and after running WOT for about a mile I felt it, and it was noticeably warmer at the telltale, but not uncomfortable.

I am wondering if anyone has seen this before and can give an idea. If it is a gasket of some sort that would require removing the power head, I'll probably just take it in for repairs.

Mariner45drip2.jpg?t=1435421718.jpg

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Mi duckdown

Commander
does telltale/pee line have a crack in it. a pic from top looking into the motor while running would better.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Could be where the water tube mates with the power head the grommet is not in place properly or it needs a new one or even the water tube not fitting correctly. Check the parts breakdown for your engine to see what the water tube attaches too and buy a new setup... Not a huge problem and easy to fix... :thumb:

CatfishMN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Funny you should ask... I went out and fired it back up on the muffs, and looked down and saw that where the hose meets the telltale nipple is ripped about halfway off. Looks like the water is just pouring out of that and draining down and out the bottom. I hadn't even thought of that!

So I just pulled the whole thing out, fired it up, and no water coming out the bottom! Thanks for the 2nd set of eyes! Ordering a new nipple now.