Where is the vent hole on my r drive?

PNW Driver

Seaman
I went to change the oil in the lower unit today and could not locate a vent hole. There was the drain plug and a small hole starboard side on the forward end of the gear housing that was horizontal. It had no plug or screw in it. Is this the vent and if it is what is supposed to be in it? I tried searching the forums but I think I have somehow disabled that function on my computer.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where is the vent hole on my r drive?

Go to the adults only section and download #6.There should be a plug in that hole ,same as the drain without the magnet

PNW Driver

Seaman

Thanks for the heads up about the manual. I just recently identified my drive and hadn't gotten around to the specific one yet. It seems that the hole you told me to plug (acording to the manual) is a water drain hole. That would explain its lack of threads. It seems, on ths drive I am to use the vent hole on the upper end to monitor its fullness. Does that sound accurate?

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

The vent hole is port side towards the top of the drive, same side as the fill/drain hole.

PNW Driver

Seaman

Thank you. I was under the impression the two units were seperate. The manual was a little vague. Thanks Again.

Bondo

Staff member

I was under the impression the two units were seperate.

Nope,... 1 oil cavity that holds slightly Over a quart....